• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

outdoor viv

beardieluver

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I live in Minnesota i was wondering if i could build an outdoor cage for nice sunny warm summer days for twitch (my beardie).
Is there certain things i should do or don't do if i build one?

Thanks
~Carly

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sure thing. The sun is the best source of UV your beardie can get.

Beardies can go out when it is at least 85F outside. You'll want to build something that is breathable (no glass). You'll want to ensure no bugs can get into the outdoor viv or predators. If you plan to have your beardie out there for along period of time, make sure he/she has a cool side with shade.

Here's an article on outdoor vivs:
Taking Bearded Dragons Outside

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
*waves at a fellow Minnesotan...*
Darn shame I moved south though ??? lol
Janie

beardieluver

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks i have think i have read that before. I wanted to do mesh definitly no glass. is there a certin size...to small....to big?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your normal metal window screening should be adequate for your needs. The mesh is small enough to prevent all but the tiniest pests to get through, yet being metal quite sturdy, And open enough for the sun to radiate down.
Hope this helps out !
Janie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As far as size, it depends on how long you plan to let him/her bask out there. If you plan for a couple of hours, you'll want one big enough to roam and cool off if needed. If you plan on getting him/her out there for an hour, then a smaller one will suffice. Since it is not his permanent home and only a temp thing for him to get some natural UV, then the size is up to you.

I know Bernie would just climb up on his wood and bask away. Very little movement.

tarichardi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
oK,this might be really lame, but tell me what u think.

I saw hamster cages at that pet store that I thought might work for a little outside air. Super cheap and already have a bridge up to a shelf. The cage part was made of coated wire and the bottom a 3 or 4 inch deep plastic container. He would only be in it for an hour or so when I go out to garden etc. I could cover it with mesh/screen to keep out bugs, but he honestly would be close by at any time so not sure if it is entirely necessary.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I guess that would work. Even if you are close by, a bug could get in. The problem with 'wild' bugs is you do not know what they have been exposed to - pesticides, diseases, etc.

If my memory is right, we picked up our mesh screen pretty cheap at a local pet store. Here's what I'm talking about -
http://mybeardie.com/bearded-dragon-reptile-supplies.php?itemdetail=518106

We didn't get that one (so, ignore the price), but it is the style of mesh viv.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow Renee, thats nice

Wish we had stuff like that here by us :-[

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hehehhehehehheheheee if I were in Florida-ME! In NC only 2-3 months for beardie :-\

Latest posts