• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

outdoor playpen?

Beth D

Bearded Dragon Egg
Has anyone found a good portable outdoor enclosure/playpen that allows your beardie to get some sun but also keeps him safe? I’d love to have something I could put my beardie in to get some sun on warm days. Not looking for something to leave him unattended...just something that would keep him from running off or getting into anything unsafe on the ground. Thanks!

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
I haven't tried it yet, but I bought a small kiddie pool. Would definitely require attention because the sides are not tall, but will at least provide a safe area.

Ellen

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I actually went a head and built a outdoor cage for my Beardies. I am thinking about adding to it so I can have more than one out at a time. I don't put them together.. But what I have right now wasn't too hard to make. Anyone could do it. And it keeps them safe. Mine is enclosed on top with chicken wire because of where I live I have a lot of ravens around and owls. I wouldn't want one swooping down and taking one of them. And if need be I can leave them for a bit and I don't have to worry about my cats trying to get in. And I put wheels on one side so I can move it around my backyard chasing the sun or shade in some cases.

Terri Piorkowski

Bearded Dragon Egg
So, I'm looking a building an outdoor enclosure as well. Did you build a floor into the enclosure or did you just build it like a hutch with the beardie on the ground? Can they dig out?

Ellen

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi there
Yeah, exactly, I built mine where the Beardies are on the bare ground. I felt it is more natural for them and they might like their feet on the actual earth. No, they don't dig out. At least the three that I have don't. One of mine likes to dig at the earth but she isn't trying to get out she just likes to to dig in the dirt. And it's never enough where if she were to dig straight under the side part she wouldn't be able to get out. Which she hasn't done anyway. She digs in the middle of the enclosure. My other two just like to sit and stare at everything. I use a mesh type of wire. But with bigger holes than what you think when you hear Mesh. At least for me. Although I have chicken wire on the very top. They can't get to it and it has much bigger holes for the sun. I make sure that they can get sun from all angles. But make sure they have a part of the cage that is in the shade too. Or a place to go into. I just put mine in part shade.I have wheels on the bottom of one side so I can easily lift it up and move it around my yard. And if you do use wire make sure you put wood over the ends or something so there isn't any poking out that can hurt them. But I'm sure you know that. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. Good luck! I know your Beardie will love it.

Terri Piorkowski

Bearded Dragon Egg
That's what I was thinking, 3 sides set on the ground with a wide enough mesh that it lets a lot of sun in but small enough she can't get out. Just wasn't sure how anyone else had done it, or if anyone had any issues with digging out. I'm thinking of just using staples on the outside of the enclosure so no rough edges are inside, and then just moving it around the yard so she has different areas to run around on. How big did you make yours? If you have any pictures that would be great!

Ellen

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yeah, I used a staple gun to put the the wire in place, cut off excess and then used a long skinny board only an inch thick to lay on top. Those I glues and then screwed in place. I glued everything first and then drilled screws in. Believe me it makes a huge difference. I got the board and other wood as well as the wire all from a hardware store. I have one top side that I haven't actually finished because I ran out of that particular board. And it makes no difference to the Beardies so I just been taking my time fixing it. So, I can show you that part in a pic on how I did it. I will try and take some pics of the cage and put them on here to show you. I think I am going to make an addition to it soon so I can put two Beardies out at one time. I don't put them together so I am always exchanging one for another through out the day. One gets it one day and the other the next day and so on. But I can only do this during early spring. It gets way too hot here to have them out in the summer. Yeah so if I build another identical cage on top of it, this time putting down something for the bottom piece however, I will get to put two Beardies out at once. That would be cool and a lot easier.

Ellen

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Oh, I forgot to tell you how big it is. I had to go measure it. O.K. so it is 24 inches in width and 50 inches long and from top to bottom it is 28 inches. I didn't want to make it too big because I wouldn't be able to move it around my yard. But that's just me.

Kyler

Bearded Dragon Egg
Has anyone found a good portable outdoor enclosure/playpen that allows your beardie to get some sun but also keeps him safe? I’d love to have something I could put my beardie in to get some sun on warm days. Not looking for something to leave him unattended...just something that would keep him from running off or getting into anything unsafe on the ground. Thanks!
So I actually have a pop up toddler ball pit from amazon that I use for a hamster play pen, and then for my beardie for her to go and get some safe sun. I love it because it is cheap, easy to clean, and it folds down to the size of a small frizbee.

this is the one I have!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XPLB35M/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran

What I use is a mesh hamper that I got at Walmart. It has 4 sides and a zipper. On the top there were some bigger holes, that I used a zip tie to close up so my beardie couldn't get out. I have a cardboard box inside so he can get in and out of the sun, as he chooses. When he was a baby he would climb the sides of it.

Attachments

• 2F815BFC-DB14-47E9-AB5F-86B4042F72ED.jpeg
    2F815BFC-DB14-47E9-AB5F-86B4042F72ED.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 209
  • 90772BA8-9178-4D82-BBD4-10A93F7DCDF1.jpeg
    90772BA8-9178-4D82-BBD4-10A93F7DCDF1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 187

Daphne

Bearded Dragon Egg

Nicole P

Bearded Dragon Egg
What I use is a mesh hamper that I got at Walmart. It has 4 sides and a zipper. On the top there were some bigger holes, that I used a zip tie to close up so my beardie couldn't get out. I have a cardboard box inside so he can get in and out of the sun, as he chooses. When he was a baby he would climb the sides of it.

Omq I love the hamper idea for Pandora! We are using our tent for when we go out on the road. Plus we have a leash for him too.

Nitrogirl

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is the beauty we use! Its light and portable.

Attachments

• 20190420_122251.jpg
    20190420_122251.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 108
  • 20190404_142210.jpg
    20190404_142210.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 100
  • 20190404_142439.jpg
    20190404_142439.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 109

Latest posts