• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Outdoor Housing?

tarichardi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Anybody have pics or suggestions of an outdoor enclosure they may have set up? Im not talking about living outside, just a safe place to hang out with us outside while we garden or eat for an hour or two. I live in southern california and think it would be nice :)

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No, but this is definitely something I want to do sometime. It's been on my list of things to do for a while. Just need to take the time to do it.

I'm very interested in the replies you get. So I'm subscribing. ;D

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Renee said:
We put Bernie in a wire mesh viv with a piece of driftwood. He loved it! Here's a link to the site's store on these.

http://mybeardie.com/bearded-dragon-reptile-supplies.php?itemtype=Screen

Which one is it, Renee? All I get when I click on the link is a page of results when searching for "screen". Page 1 looks like a bunch of screen tops for tanks. I don't see the wire mesh viv. Then when I click on page 2, I get 65 pages worth of product.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I made a an enclosure frame of 3x2x2 covered it with gauged steel flywire as walls with a solid floor and roof on a hinge and, hey presto Robert is your father's brother we have an outdoor enclosure. Incidently my dog trashed that not so long ago as i left it out where he could get to it lol. Oh well of to build a new one in a 6 months when summer starts.

Alternatively if you don't want to build one here are a few things somebody prepared earlier:

Large bird cage
Rabit hutches
Mesh enclosures (like the ones used for cameleons)
Chicken coops
etc.. etc...

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
tarichardi said:
I have considered the mesh enclosures and the bird cage...

They work fine mate the most important thing to remember is that the dragon needs to be secure in there so it does'nt escape and something that will minimise outside bugs getting within it's tounge reach. Mesh enclosures are perfect for that nothing in or out except good ol' sunshine rays.

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
just a quick question would a old dog cage do surounded in fly mesh you put on house hold doors and windows

paul

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Craiger said:
Renee said:
We put Bernie in a wire mesh viv with a piece of driftwood. He loved it! Here's a link to the site's store on these.

Which one is it, Renee? All I get when I click on the link is a page of results when searching for "screen". Page 1 looks like a bunch of screen tops for tanks. I don't see the wire mesh viv. Then when I click on page 2, I get 65 pages worth of product.

Oops. Thanks, Craiger. It looks like that link is broken in our store. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll get my coder to take a look. ::)

It's the Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Screen Cage
Try this one:
http://mybeardie.com/bearded-dragon-reptile-supplies.php?itemdetail=518106

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Renee said:
Craiger said:
Renee said:

Oops. Thanks, Craiger. It looks like that link is broken in our store. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll get my coder to take a look. ::)

It's the Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Screen Cage
Try this one:
http://mybeardie.com/bearded-dragon-reptile-supplies.php?itemdetail=518106

Yeah. That one worked! Thanks, Renee.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
egg 80 said:
just a quick question would a old dog cage do surounded in fly mesh you put on house hold doors and windows

paul

Sounds like that would work. You want to make sure that no predator can get to your beardie, as well as, no wild bugs being to get in either. If you plan to leave your beardie out for an extended period of time, you'll want to ensure you have a hide or cool side where he/she can go to cool down.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Renee said:
...no wild bugs being to get in either.

That especially goes for fireflies. They've been known to be EXTREMELY toxic to beardies. I read a testimony of one killing a beardie in less than 10 seconds after consumption. Not sure how exaggerated the timing was....or if it was even esaggerated....but it was enough of an alarm for me.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not an exaggeration Craig.

I have a few different outdoor enclosures. I have one that stands about 5 feet tall at the top (it's on legs) with a solid bottom with tile substrate. The sides and top are made of 1/2" wire mesh. Because of it's size, it has a covering to protect it from weather when not in use.

I have a screen mesh enclosure also. It's kept on a stand, and i use shelf liner covered cardboard that's replaced pretty often for substrate.

I also have what i call a free roam enclosure, tho i haven't used it for 2 years.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Craiger said:
That especially goes for fireflies. They've been known to be EXTREMELY toxic to beardies. I read a testimony of one killing a beardie in less than 10 seconds after consumption. Not sure how exaggerated the timing was....or if it was even esaggerated....but it was enough of an alarm for me.

Wow, I did not know that. It's great to learn something every day!

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
Add Ladybugs to that list too, folks!
Janie

And here's where I learned something today. Good to know, too....especially since they're out and more abundant through the daytime.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hold that.
Hippodamia convergens, Coccinella Septempunctata, Coccinella Californica, Coccinella Triasficata Subversa, Psyllobora vigintimaculata and Harmonia Axyridis are all different species. They're not all toxic

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
hold that.
Hippodamia convergens, Coccinella Septempunctata, Coccinella Californica, Coccinella Triasficata Subversa, Psyllobora vigintimaculata and Harmonia Axyridis are all different species. They're not all toxic

Just quoting you once more. ;D

ladyknite said:
....try to remember I'm a geek.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Go stand in the corner craig. ;)

I've got some notes on at least 5 of these species, but gotta find my disc.

Latest posts