• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Out of the Box Thinking, Literally.

pamela simko

Bearded Dragon Egg
I hate keeping animals in tanks. I have my bird in a diaper running around my house, I have a toad that lives on my dresser and watches over me all day, and my dragon lives on the window sill with the anole, and one of the leopard geckos.

(My frog empire, on the other hand, are mostly in tanks as they have to be)

Anyway, I posted about my new, and first, beardie, and how he's a bit lazy. And come to realize that not having him in a tank may not be getting the high temps that I need, bc of escaping heat from the lamps and such.

So, I'm ready to convert an extra 20 gal that I have, if that's what's right, but before I do, I wanted to ask this:

Has anyone ever made it work with a beardie and an UNENCLOSED space? I mean, I live in FL where the window sill gets to be close to 100 F most of the year. Is there anything that I can do so that I can keep him in his sunny position next to the window, which I cannot do with a tank, as it's weight would break the ledge?

Is there any way to keep temp and humidity proper without putting four glass walls around my boy? I want him to be free. I'm sure you all understand that, right? But IS it possible?

TarynLee

Hatchling Dragon
Could u gate him in a section of your home where you could clip/hang lights from the wall. Then let him out for play periods but make sure he is in there otherwise before and after meals and such

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A 20 Gal enclosure is much too small, would only do for a month or 3, a 40+ Gal enclosure is necessary with a minimum floor area of 4 square feet to raise a happy, healthy adult. They need a controlled environment.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, even though your window sill may be providing temps. 90% of glass made to put in windows block UVB. Are the other animals contained or can the beardie get to them?

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
The other problem with using the window is that you don't control the weather. You can, however, control the weather in an enclosure.

pamela simko

Bearded Dragon Egg
(I had actually forgotten where I had posted this. Duh!)

So, yes, I know about glass filtering out UV and all that. But I have lights. The window is mainly a means for him to look at something compelling. (He told me he doesn't like watching cable's Fall Lineup with me. Says he'll need HBO and Showtime. Why, I never!)

And, I WAS letting him bask up there with the Cuban Knight Anole, who is my only other "tenant" with those light and temp needs. But, after the other part of the forum said that one could hurt the other, I stopped that. So, the anole is back in the box. He's gotten used to it for a while. Drake the dragon is back on the window alone.

I left town shortly, put him with an experienced keeper that has tanks and all that, and upon returning, my dragon isn't any more active. He's still so very lazy. Still loves to eat. Still loves a good bask. So, I don't know if a day or two of tank life has changed my attitude.

I hear what you are saying about getting a huge tank. I had altogether forgotten how large they can get. I'm glad that you reminded me. Right now, there ARE other animals, but they can't get to him. The cats are kept out of my room - they are terrified of him anyway - it's incredibly funny. The frogs are mostly in the "frog closet" bc most of them are poisonous to the occasional cat attack, should a cat get in. (Marine toads, oak toads, cuban tree frogs, smooth sided toads, they all have poisons that kill animals that eat them.) The leopard geckos enjoy a tank. And the anole, well, he's going to get used to a tank ttoo. So, it's just Drake and the Smooth Sided Toad that share my room. (Not the closet)I know that the Smooth Sided IS poisonous, but he lost his glands bf I bought him, so, I think that we're ok there.

I thank you though, for your thoughts. It DOES seem that, though, due to his size, he WILL need a tank. Poop WILL become a problem, and for such a large animal as he will be, it will be big. That's the last straw as far as I'm concerned. I want to give them unbridled freedom, but really hate poop.

If only they made a poopless dragon. Come on science - get off your butt and make it happen! Thanks all.

Latest posts