• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Out of Cage Handeling , guidelines.

nrokin

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hello,

Im new to beardies and i have a question regarding handling and letting your beardie explore around your room, when is the best time to let them do this? Im used to my snakes not being able to be picked up for about 2 days after fed, so i am wondering should i handle them before feeding ? or a hour after? Can you pick them up when the lights of their cage goes out and hold them for a little while then putting them to bed? Thanks all in advanced!!

:D

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardies can come out of their viv whenever you want them to. There is no specific time. They do need UV lighting daily. So, I would not let them out for extended periods of time. 45 minutes - 1 hour daily.

Beardies should be offered salad daily. This is a combination of veggies and greens. Here is a link to basic bearded dragon care. Give it a read. It lists suggested salads:
Bearded Dragon Care

Beardies under 1 year old should be offered proteins (bugs) daily - 2-3 times a day. Start the day with salad. Food should be offered no sooner than 1 hour after the lights come on. This allows them to warm up from the night and be able to digest their foods.

Food should not be offered 1 hour before lights off. Again, for digestive reasons.

As far as exploring, just be careful. Bearded dragons can be very fast. I have heard too many horror stories of beardies escaping in houses.

nrokin

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Awesome thank you so much , i haven't had greens im going to pick some up ive been giving him other veggies , and calcium im getting on monday.. the damn petstore guy i TOLD HIM dont i need vitamins AND calcium and he confused me and said the reptivite has enough in it. :( now im all worried. But at least i ordered the proper light, and going to run to the petstore to get calcium on sunday or monday.

off topic kinda: is that bearded dragon book manual good? i think out of all the books ive seen so far that one intrigued me into reading it.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is sad that most pet stores give incorrect info when it comes to bearded dragons. That is why there are so many forums to help each other out. It is a sad truth we have all seen over and over again.

Personally, I was pleased with the book. Or I would not have put it on my site. But I am a biased opinion since I am the site owner. ;D However, he offers a money back guarentee. So, if you browsed the content and are interested, I don't see much harm in giving it a try.

I've bought a couple books in the past and none of them hold up to this one. Here's a link to what other members have to say...you can continue your discussion there:

Advanced Bearded Dragon Manual

Latest posts