• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Our New Dragon Reptar

jamedl7516

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
This is Reptar, our new bearded dragon! We received her and all of her stuff from a friend Nov. 24th. The first time we saw her we instantly loved her. When my fiance Amanda found out she was being given away, we jumped all over it. Reptar's previous owner had too many other animals plus a child on the way and could not afford to take care of her, sooo her loss our gain! I just recently had an impaction scare with her, but I read through the endless posts, and after some applesauce, gatorade and olive oil, she feels light as a feather. Thank you all!

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Congrats...and welcome to mybeardie.com! I don't see any pics, though. *scratches head*

BigDaddyDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
BigDaddyDragon said:
Where are the pictures? We wanna see Reptar!!

Excuse me for being rude.... * Ahem *clears throat* welcome to the forum! It's great to have you! Lol.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
BigDaddyDragon said:
BigDaddyDragon said:
Where are the pictures? We wanna see Reptar!!

Excuse me for being rude.... * Ahem *clears throat* welcome to the forum! It's great to have you! Lol.

Aw...look. Big Daddy's growin' up! ;D

jamedl7516

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
It's not letting me load pictures for some reason, getting pretty frustrated here...

jamedl7516

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Reptar2.jpg

This is Reptar, isn't she beautiful? Thanks for the link Craiger!

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
jamedl7516 said:
This is Reptar, isn't she beautiful? Thanks for the link Craiger!

You're very welcome....and, yes, she's beautiful! Nice find!

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Quick question....how do you measure her temps? Can you list them? Cool end, warm end, basking surface. Just curious.

jamedl7516

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I use two of those liquid crystal thermometers, one on the cool side, one on the warm side. Her basking surface is a low powered basking rock. Basking side is right around 100F, her cool side is 71F. The rock itself is about 98F.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
jamedl7516 said:
I use two of those liquid crystal thermometers, one on the cool side, one on the warm side. Her basking surface is a low powered basking rock. Basking side is right around 100F, her cool side is 71F. The rock itself is about 98F.

Okay. Be very careful when using a heat rock. Beardies are poor at sensing heat from below and have been known to get burned by them. Those thermometers measure air temp...and have been known to be off by almost 20 degrees in regards to actual surface temp. My recommendation would be to get a temp gun. It's the best, most accurate way to measure temps. You can use it to measure the temp of any bath water, too.

jamedl7516

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Will do, thanks for the advice, I would hate for her to get burned. I will get two digital thermometers to replace the liquid crystal ones when I get home. I had to use those as an inexpensive substitute, her previous owner didn't even use thermometers. I think they were also under-heating her, so I bought a 150W heating bulb. Next is a repti-sun 10.0 to replace the old 20W UVB light they had.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like you're moving in the right direction. You only need one of those temp guns, really. Doesn't hurt to have two, but isn't necessary.

jamedl7516

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yeah, one temp gun, and two digital thermometers, one for the cool side and one for the warm side. To replace the liquid crystal thermometers. I've never seen one of those temp guns before, they look pretty cool.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They are. It's all I use. You get an accurate reading with just the push of a button.

Latest posts