• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Our gravid female laid her eggs :) help [emoji85]

Ange_Thys

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all, as mentioned before my boyfriend moved in with his two bearded dragons, Popcorn (female) and Peanut (male) in December :)

They are almost 2 years old, and co exist beautifully - honestly best friends.

A month ago I saw them copulate and now she has laid 11 eggs. We tried to check yesterday if the eggs were fertile or infertile - but think it was too soon.

- when is the best time period to see if the eggs are fertile?

Secondly, I have the eggs in an incubator type thing, peat moss at the bottom filled with organic potting soil and a lamp above.
IMG_1347.JPG

Can we leave the eggs buried in there under the lamp? Must I keep the soil moist?

Mommy is doing well! I gave her a bath and lots of protein and salad :)

This is all very exciting and I honestly hope the eggs are fertile !!!
IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1362.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Wow. All I know are the eggs need to be kept at a certain temperature and not moved around. If they are Duds, they will collapse in a few days. The substrate needs to me moist but not sopping wet. If too we the eggs will mold.

Since she was with the male they are probably fertile. The male is going to keep mating with her over and over until he kills her. I really would separate them. Baby dragons are cute but they are a lot of mouths to feed and a lot of tanks because you will need to separate hem so they don’t compete for food and light and hurt each other. I hope you are prepared.

Ange_Thys

Bearded Dragon Egg
Wow. All I know are the eggs need to be kept at a certain temperature and not moved around. If they are Duds, they will collapse in a few days. The substrate needs to me moist but not sopping wet. If too we the eggs will mold.

Since she was with the male they are probably fertile. The male is going to keep mating with her over and over until he kills her. I really would separate them. Baby dragons are cute but they are a lot of mouths to feed and a lot of tanks because you will need to separate hem so they don’t compete for food and light and hurt each other. I hope you are prepared.

Wow! That’s hectic!! Thank you for all the info [emoji4] I really appreciate it [emoji254] they are fertile [emoji85] so if they hatch / loads of work ahead [emoji85][emoji85]❤️

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ditto what Patsy already said and I want to add that you need to replenish all the calcium that the female lost forming those eggs.. Yes they will be fertile if you saw them copulate..Breeding brings another dimension to having reptiles, adds many mouths to feed/heat/house...Not something to get into unplanned really.. now if they hatch do you know the bloodlines of mom/dad? do you know what you'll do with the babies? make sure you tell whomever gets a hatchling what their background genetics are..

So I guess you all have a bit of time to get prepared to look into housing ideas for babies and a parent in order to protect them..And if I'm not mistaken a female can hold back sperm so she may lay more eggs in the near future and she will likely be gravid more often and could end up having egg issues..

Ange_Thys

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ditto what Patsy already said and I want to add that you need to replenish all the calcium that the female lost forming those eggs.. Yes they will be fertile if you saw them copulate..Breeding brings another dimension to having reptiles, adds many mouths to feed/heat/house...Not something to get into unplanned really.. now if they hatch do you know the bloodlines of mom/dad? do you know what you'll do with the babies? make sure you tell whomever gets a hatchling what their background genetics are..

So I guess you all have a bit of time to get prepared to look into housing ideas for babies and a parent in order to protect them..And if I'm not mistaken a female can hold back sperm so she may lay more eggs in the near future and she will likely be gravid more often and could end up having egg issues..
Thank you so much for the info! Loads to consider [emoji85]

Latest posts