• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Our first ever beardie, rescue, not eating much and sleeping alot

sunnythedragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi Guys, I dont know if I over worry, first ever beardie owner here, he is 5 years old and we have only had him 3 days, the rescue centre advised he had never been kept in proper conditions and was very weak when they got him in, he is fine being handled, actually sits on you and does not even try to move, I put him on the floor and he moves a tiny bit but mainly stays still, he is napping during the day in the cold corner of his viv, which is a 4 foot viv. His temps are correct, 39 degree basking spot. He sleeps from 5pm in the evening! He has had a few greens and a few mario worms but thats all! I give him water with a syringe and he has not wanted it yesterday or today! He seems tired, is it because he is adjusting to his new home ? the lady at the rescue said he is always trying to get out of his viv a he loves running around, but he has not been like that with us ? any help would be appreciated thank you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Guys, I dont know if I over worry, first ever beardie owner here, he is 5 years old and we have only had him 3 days, the rescue centre advised he had never been kept in proper conditions and was very weak when they got him in, he is fine being handled, actually sits on you and does not even try to move, I put him on the floor and he moves a tiny bit but mainly stays still, he is napping during the day in the cold corner of his viv, which is a 4 foot viv. His temps are correct, 39 degree basking spot. He sleeps from 5pm in the evening! He has had a few greens and a few mario worms but thats all! I give him water with a syringe and he has not wanted it yesterday or today! He seems tired, is it because he is adjusting to his new home ? the lady at the rescue said he is always trying to get out of his viv a he loves running around, but he has not been like that with us ? any help would be appreciated thank you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok the 39C maybe to warm for him --- most older dragons do not like real hot temps how are you getting that 39 temp ? NO stick ons they are inaccurate you want surface temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer place the probe on the spot where he would sit to bask--- next does your UVB have a reflector on it? What are you using for a UVB ? Brand and bulb please-- he will go thru relocation stress you have only had him for 3 days hes going to need to acclimate to his tank and surroundings --- is it winter there where you are? They will brumate at that age but since you have no back ground on him you dont know if he has in the past --- so we need to make sure all the basking temps and UVB is correct - if any of this is off it can send them into a brumation type behavior -- its good hes eating if he stops eating all together that is not good -- your basking bulb should be a CLEAR bright white basking bulb an example would be a Exo Terra Intense basking bulb or a Zoo Med Repti bulb -- NO off white NO yellowish NO daytime bulbs -- NO CHE's ceramic heat emitters for a basking bulb those are for heat at nite only ---