• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Other insects?

Renae_nae

Hatchling Dragon
I'm so grossed out by roaches plus I live in Florida (which is why I'm probably grossed out by them) that they aren't an option to feed. (I get chills just typing about them).

She doesn't like silk worms. I've tried several times over the last week to put some in her cage and she just looks at them like they are freaks. I even put one on her nose and she just stared at me like I was a freak. She LOVES her crickets. She'll fly across the cage for one.

I've heard mealworms are more of a treat and not a whole lot of nutrition which leads me to the question are they actually beneficial to a diet or more like ice cream on our part? Are crickets enough (yes, I'm dusting them and the place I buy them from gut loads them) or do I really need other insects? If so what?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just wanted to comment that any gutload that the Cricket breeder feeds them is gone in a day or so, you have to gutload your own crix within 24 hrs prior to feeding.

As far as other insects, I'll let others give input, all mine have ever gotten is Crix, Roaches & few and far between some Supers.

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
other feeder insects i use are: crickets, phoenix worms, silkworms & hornworms
as germ said, crickets need 2 be gutloaded 24-48 hours before feeding 2 ur beardie. u can use the stalks from greens &/or the green leaves & veggies. i also use fluker's orange cube complete cricket diet 2 keep the crix hydrated, cuz they'll drown in water.

Latest posts