• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Orange Vs. Red

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well Tinman's post concerning favorite colors brought up something that I always find amusing in the bearded dragon world. The red Vs. orange debate. A dragon that most would call red being orange and vice versa. I have a few pics posted below and i would love to hear your input on what color each of these dragons are.

(Note these dragons all belong to me and are in my care no photos were stolen or borrowed from any other source)
IMG_0997.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

I will not post my opinions as I do not wish to sway the answers with what color I think my dragons are. And feel free to post your own photos as well (though please answer also lol)

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I gotta agree with Tom except on #4. It looks light orange/creamsicle to me

I've always argued over the fact that most "red" dragons are infact orange and only a few are actually red

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Koral (picture 4) is one of the things I would be talking about. Some call her orange, some call her red, some call her a pastel citrus, some call her a red/orange mix. But it is so subjective, or rather it has been allowed to become so subjective. I think one of the points of confusion is bloodlines/breeder backgrounds as all 4 of the dragons posted in this are from well known Red bloodlines. So I think many breeders started calling the orange dragons they produced red only because of the bloodline that they were originating from (IE Blood, Cawley red, Chris Allen Red, ETC.)

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree completely but then buyers who aren't aware get disappointed when a "red" dragon is actually orange or in 1 case of mine, YELLOW!

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardielover17 said:
I agree completely but then buyers who aren't aware get disappointed when a "red" dragon is actually orange or in 1 case of mine, YELLOW!

Thing is most buyers end up not being aware, they do not ask for photos of the parents, and many breeders certainly do not volunteer that information. So then the person pays 200 bux for a dragon they expect to be red. It comes in looking orangish (like the first baby I posted) and they contact the breeder, breeder tells them "oh they change color over time so he will eventually color up" (knowing full well that the line never ends up red) and then you have a dissappointed buyer. But I am getting off on a tangent now. Looking for more folks opinions on color ;D

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Luckily for me I was far from disappointed since I wanted a yellow but supposedly they didn't have any yellows and I got the "red" instead

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Here are some I consider red in my collection.
Titan (even He isnt full red)
IMG_5560.jpg

These next pics are mixes of red and orange.
Thea
IMG_5571.jpg

Alley
IMG_5539.jpg

WTF....lol
Roxy (even tho shes a cawley red)
IMG_5543.jpg

Selene (Scars grand daughter)
IMG_5548.jpg

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Selene is from the same parents as 2 of the dragons that I posted (number 2 and 3). See the variation that comes even within the same bloodline.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
keep the input coming folks. I love see the different ways that people interpret color.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Orange for all Bri except for pic 3, but that said I do work on the OZ system of "phase" instead of morphs. Anything in between the dark reds and the yellows is "orange" to us. So for us the base colour would be the colour of the dragon.

Example Tom's (NO offense Tom)
In OZ

Titan and Thea would be Orange x yellow (as orange is their predominant colour with yellow coming through)

It would be the reverse for Roxy yellow x orange

Alley could go either way yellow x orange or orange x yellow

Selene straight yellow.

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Great Dragons guys. Brian, number three is red and SMOKIN! Tom, that leather is HOT!

True red is really rare in the states. I see mostly red/orange, not red/purple.The majority of "red" dragons here in the states are orange.

Even using the parents as a guide to the babies doesn't work. I can breed two colorful dragons together and have colorful babies and colorless babies out of the same clutch.

Also, I can take a pic of a dragon now, and everybody would think it was so pretty. I could take a picture of the same dragon in an hour, and it would look dull. They change color.

And on a side note, I'm about sick of morphs. Some of my dragons blood lines are getting ridiculous :)

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
tim thanks for the compliment on ruby. Wish I could take credit for her but gina produced that beauty.

tinmantribe5

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Wow "Tom" I really like Alley she is way hott! I do like a yellow though,when you are a newbie to Dragons they are all way cool either way haha! Alright here goes my picks Brian!
1.Orange Tiger
2.Orange Citrus
3.Red
Sandfire orange x high yellow

Yaya go ahead and laugh I do ha ha!

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
tinmantribe5 said:
Wow "Tom" I really like Alley she is way hott! I do like a yellow though,when you are a newbie to Dragons they are all way cool either way haha! Alright here goes my picks Brian!
1.Orange Tiger
2.Orange Citrus
3.Red
Sandfire orange x high yellow

Yaya go ahead and laugh I do ha ha!

Your picks are just as valid as anyone elses so great opinion. Though on number 4, sandfire is a coined line that koral has no background from lol.

Ric

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I'm colorblind for the most part but I would say
Orange
Orange
Red
Peach