• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Opinion on feeder's

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
So I had a terrible shock this morning and I'm questioning EVERYTHING I'm doing have done and will do with Spike, I've lost kai I WILL NOT lose Spikey too if I can help it!!

Basically 2/3 days ago when I stopped feeding them live food it was because the 3rd hoppers they had been eating were ... bad ... I went to get them out for breakfast time and a few of them had what I can only describe as black gunk/fluid coming from their mouths, so i stopped feeding immediately as i have never experienced this. So they'd had no live food for a couple of days. I plan to go get Spike something to eat tomorrow as he seems ok and I'm really worried about getting locust again. He's 3.5 inches nose to tale tip and 2.5 inches nose to vent. I've also decided mealworm are bad too so I should stay clear of them as well!

Here's my question what can I feed as a daily staple feeder? I don't know as I have never had a lizard so small. Any suggestions will be greatly accepted.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Appropriately sized and gut loaded crickets and certain breeds of roaches are used as great staple live feeders. I'm not familiar with problems that can from hoppers, has the issue seemed to clear out? I would suggest a warm soak and if it doesn't clear up, a vet visit! I've never heard of black gunk coming out of their mouths.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It was the locusts that had the black gunk coming out of their mouths ;). When I was on the farm this was common of wild Grasshoppers or locusts here, I thought it normal.

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
I am unable to get crickets from just about anywhere unless I find some online but I'm trying to secure some at a shop I can visit as I need them. Kai died this morning and I think it was the food. Tuesday Spike flatly refused the locust Kai ate them, Wednesday they had the gunk. The babies bathed when i created the post about poop Thursday I think it was, she rubbed her nose to the right flicked it to the left a huge piece of vomit came out, exactly like poop in consistency and look and within 60 seconds she'd passed. Spike has had no live food since Monday evening so I need something for him. In your opinion what else apart from bugs and meal worm can i feed safely for his size? I got all the live food from the same place so I didn't attempt to feed the meal worm just in case. I am frightened to feed him hoppers (in the UK a hopper is a baby locust)

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I'm sorry too to hear about Kai....I'm not familiar with what is available in the UK or what you would have access to via the net...phoenix and wax worms would be two alternatives although wax worms are high fat. I know that phoenix worms can be found in the US and Canada. The dubia roaches are supposed to be the best if you can get them. Wish I could be more help Khaleesi and hope Spike stays well!

Latest posts