• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Old Beardy wants no insects

leslie2001

Bearded Dragon Egg
Dear people,

I have posted a thread in the past about my bearded Dragon named Louis.

In that thread I was talking about him being weak not as sporty as he used to be. In his past he was even able to jump up stairs, also got that on Video.
It must be 2 years ago or 1 year I'm not sure.

You told me it can be because of his high age. Which I don't know to 100%
His previous owners told us he is 6 years old as we got him.
That's now many years ago, when I was still a kind im 19 years old now... So it's a big while. Like maybe 6-8 years I would say. He was just fine in these years, always healthy and he was getting vitamins, calcium and even real sun. He lives a happy life I'd say.

He eats with my help. But he won't eat insects. He doesn't want them. He just looks at them or even just ignores them. Just wanted to know if it's okay for him to live without insects. I have no idea how I can force him to eat them I guess there's no way and also I don't wanna force him... If he doesn't want to.

We can't be sure if the previous owners told us his real age. But hes such an old looking beardie. Also acts like one.
So he must have a high age.

I surely want him to live LONG. So I'm worried. I can't have my little baby giving up his life. He's been with me for so long and was there for me in very hard times.

leslie2001

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here are some pictures of him from this month and last I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_20200816_162718.jpg
    IMG_20200816_162718.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200816_162714.jpg
    IMG_20200816_162714.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200719_131851.jpg
    IMG_20200719_131851.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200722_153517.jpg
    IMG_20200722_153517.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Dear people,

I have posted a thread in the past about my bearded Dragon named Louis.

In that thread I was talking about him being weak not as sporty as he used to be. In his past he was even able to jump up stairs, also got that on Video.
It must be 2 years ago or 1 year I'm not sure.

You told me it can be because of his high age. Which I don't know to 100%
His previous owners told us he is 6 years old as we got him.
That's now many years ago, when I was still a kind im 19 years old now... So it's a big while. Like maybe 6-8 years I would say. He was just fine in these years, always healthy and he was getting vitamins, calcium and even real sun. He lives a happy life I'd say.

He eats with my help. But he won't eat insects. He doesn't want them. He just looks at them or even just ignores them. Just wanted to know if it's okay for him to live without insects. I have no idea how I can force him to eat them I guess there's no way and also I don't wanna force him... If he doesn't want to.

We can't be sure if the previous owners told us his real age. But hes such an old looking beardie. Also acts like one.
So he must have a high age.

I surely want him to live LONG. So I'm worried. I can't have my little baby giving up his life. He's been with me for so long and was there for me in very hard times.
What is he eating? Eats w/ your help? What exactly does that mean? - how old is the UVB your using and what are you using for a UVB ? Brand and bulb and tube or coil - since we dont know exactly how old he is we need to determine why hes not eating and lighting in the tank usually plays a big role in that --
Louis looks dehydrated -- is he drinking water or how is he getting water?

leslie2001

Bearded Dragon Egg
What is he eating? Eats w/ your help? What exactly does that mean? - how old is the UVB your using and what are you using for a UVB ? Brand and bulb and tube or coil - since we dont know exactly how old he is we need to determine why hes not eating and lighting in the tank usually plays a big role in that --
Louis looks dehydrated -- is he drinking water or how is he getting water?
I mean helping him eat like grabbing the salad and holding it in front of his mouth he's then looking at it and opening his mouth so I can put it in.
If he doesn't wanna eat, he would puke it out or get it out with his tongue. He does it when I give him something he doesn't like to eat. Otherwise he normally eats it.

I mean, he doesn't eat by himself like going to his food-bowl and then eat.

He drinks water and also has a water "cup" in the tank.

He also get baths and if it's really hot like these days he gets some water sprayed on his skin and he seems to like it.

Tank's size 75 gallons. I'm using "Mega-Ray Mercury Vapor Bulb" my old one was busted so I got this one. It's maybe 4 months old. It's 100 Watts (120V).

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I mean helping him eat like grabbing the salad and holding it in front of his mouth he's then looking at it and opening his mouth so I can put it in.
If he doesn't wanna eat, he would puke it out or get it out with his tongue. He does it when I give him something he doesn't like to eat. Otherwise he normally eats it.

I mean, he doesn't eat by himself like going to his food-bowl and then eat.

He drinks water and also has a water "cup" in the tank.

He also get baths and if it's really hot like these days he gets some water sprayed on his skin and he seems to like it.

Tank's size 75 gallons. I'm using "Mega-Ray Mercury Vapor Bulb" my old one was busted so I got this one. It's maybe 4 months old. It's 100 Watts (120V).
Are using any other UVB besides the megaray-- some of the mvb's don't put out enough--- UVB and need to have a supplement in- that could be it- we often tell people to add another tube fixture to make sure they are getting enough

leslie2001

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay, yeah I'm using another one.

But well, he's old. So it must be because of that. The others are just fine. Even Luna is old but she is so fit and all.

Louis started eating bugs yesterday like crazy. He's... An idiot making me worried everytime and suddenly he is just fine.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Okay, yeah I'm using another one.

But well, he's old. So it must be because of that. The others are just fine. Even Luna is old but she is so fit and all.

Louis started eating bugs yesterday like crazy. He's... An idiot making me worried everytime and suddenly he is just fine.
Heh heh heh they sure do like to keep you on your toes. Glad to hear Louis is ok. :)

Latest posts