• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Old beard not eating

Julesfx13

Bearded Dragon Egg
hello I don't know if I need to start a new thread or can just ask my question here, but I am worried about my 10 year old male bearded dragon. He hasn't eaten since the beginning of summer. I got him a new ubv bulb and he still hasn't eaten. I have tried baths, taking him out to make him walk around. All he did was try to hide and go to sleep. All he has done since summer is sleep. I have gotten him to drink some water here and there but still no luck with food. he doesn't feel like he has lost any weight. is it normal for a beard this old to just stop eating and running around. A few years back I had blood work done on him and everything looked great and healthy. His skin looks fine, he is still responsive. I don't know what to do. Any ideas would be very helpful. Here is a pic or my set up. Ambient temp for the hot side right now is about 84 but basking area is always way warmer. My temp gun is gone so I can't get that reading yet. But I can get the ambient temp.

Attachments

• 20220208_164809.jpg
    20220208_164809.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hello I don't know if I need to start a new thread or can just ask my question here, but I am worried about my 10 year old male bearded dragon. He hasn't eaten since the beginning of summer. I got him a new ubv bulb and he still hasn't eaten. I have tried baths, taking him out to make him walk around. All he did was try to hide and go to sleep. All he has done since summer is sleep. I have gotten him to drink some water here and there but still no luck with food. he doesn't feel like he has lost any weight. is it normal for a beard this old to just stop eating and running around. A few years back I had blood work done on him and everything looked great and healthy. His skin looks fine, he is still responsive. I don't know what to do. Any ideas would be very helpful. Here is a pic or my set up. Ambient temp for the hot side right now is about 84 but basking area is always way warmer. My temp gun is gone so I can't get that reading yet. But I can get the ambient temp.
Ok what uvb brand and bulb are you using? Basking temps? Please get a digital probe thermometer- those are the most accurate+ we need to get your lighting and temps corrected+ you want ambient hot side in the 90's

Julesfx13

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok what uvb brand and bulb are you using? Basking temps? Please get a digital probe thermometer- those are the most accurate+ we need to get your lighting and temps corrected+ you want ambient hot side in the 90's
Up by his basking area I moved the thermometer and it is slowly rising into the 90s. yes I will do get a temp gun cause I have a digital reader in there now. The brand is reptisun 10 uvb

Julesfx13

Bearded Dragon Egg
Up by his basking area I moved the thermometer and it is slowly rising into the 90s. yes I will do get a temp gun cause I have a digital reader in there now. The brand is reptisun 10 uvb
I have never had this issue in the 10 years I've owned him. Could this possibly be age related as well? oh and he is still very responsive. Just sleeps a lot and won't eat. I just gave him a bath right now and he drank some of the water.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is it a T 5 or a T 8? Is the digital have a probe on it? How old is the uvb bulb?

Julesfx13

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is it a T 5 or a T 8? Is the digital have a probe on it? How old is the uvb bulb?
digital does not have a probe it is a t 8 the bulb is brand new I just got it a few days ago since I thought maybe that was the problem.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have never had this issue in the 10 years I've owned him. Could this possibly be age related as well? oh and he is still very responsive. Just sleeps a lot and won't eat. I just gave him a bath right now and he drank some of the water.
Once we get the uvb placed correctly we will watch his behavior- you want surface basking temps-- 95-100 uvb placement is crucial that's why I am asking about the bulb itself+ and it is common for them to slow down on eating but he should not be sleeping that long 3 months brumation tops- parasites could be in play here -

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
digital does not have a probe it is a t 8 the bulb is brand new I just got it a few days ago since I thought maybe that was the problem.
Ok so w/that being said please take the uvb and place directly above the basking decor No screen it needs to be 6-8 inches and not on the wall - w/ the way it's placed now he's not getting enough uvb- what does his poop look like? When he poops is it real runny smell so bad it makes you want to leave the room?

Julesfx13

Bearded Dragon Egg
Once we get the uvb placed correctly we will watch his behavior- you want surface basking temps-- 95-100 uvb placement is crucial that's why I am asking about the bulb itself+ and it is common for them to slow down on eating but he should not be sleeping that long 3 months brumation tops- parasites could be in play here -
ya that is possible I can make an appointment with his vet. basking temps are around that temp. maybe I just need to give this new build more time. he does perk up once in a while. he's perked up now. but overtime he perks I get hope he will eat and then he doesn't.

Julesfx13

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so w/that being said please take the uvb and place directly above the basking decor No screen it needs to be 6-8 inches and not on the wall - w/ the way it's placed now he's not getting enough uvb- what does his poop look like? When he poops is it real runny smell so bad it makes you want to leave the room?
so usb is about 2 inches from basking spot but I think I need a new hub for it. if i don't do a screen what can I do cause he will get out if I remove the screen. he hasn't pooped cause he hasn't eaten. but his poop wasn't too smelly or runny, it was a brown color with a light greenish grey hue (I don't really remember how best to describe it) it I can remember correctly. and the pee is chalky white. I know it didn't look unhealthy but when I had his blood test run I had them do a fecal test too. all came back fine. his poop has stayed the same.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ya that is possible I can make an appointment with his vet. basking temps are around that temp. maybe I just need to give this new build more time. he does perk up once in a while. he's perked up now. but overtime he perks I get hope he will eat and then he doesn't.
Please get your uvb adjusted directly above the basking decor as I posted then watch his behavior- T 8's need to be replaced every 6 months I recommend 5- the uvb should kick in right away - please get a weight in him kitchen food scale weigh in grams- if you do a parasite test please do not have the vet do a enema they often end in disaster- take one to the vet- you can wait a week or so see what the adjustment does w/ the uvb

Julesfx13

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get your uvb adjusted directly above the basking decor as I posted then watch his behavior- T 8's need to be replaced every 6 months I recommend 5- the uvb should kick in right away - please get a weight in him kitchen food scale weigh in grams- if you do a parasite test please do not have the vet do a enema they often end in disaster- take one to the vet- you can wait a week or so see what the adjustment does w/ the uvb
ok thanks for the advice.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Take the UVB fixture place it on one end of the tank width wise take the screen and butt it up to the fixture --- does your fixture for the UVB have a reflector in it? If it does not please get a new fixture or get a reflector for it ---- this is very important the reflector directs the UVB rays downward toward him which is beneficial to him - if you need to get a reflector I would recommend upgrading the fixture to a 24" Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia Pro T 5 12% bulb - the distance and placement for the T 5 is different than the T 8-- it is a stronger bulb - w/ the white urate being chalky hes dehydrated - that comes from not eating -- if you want links for the UVB's I posted let me know I will post some for you -- lets get this fixed first and see what he does --

Julesfx13

Bearded Dragon Egg
Take the UVB fixture place it on one end of the tank width wise take the screen and butt it up to the fixture --- does your fixture for the UVB have a reflector in it? If it does not please get a new fixture or get a reflector for it ---- this is very important the reflector directs the UVB rays downward toward him which is beneficial to him - if you need to get a reflector I would recommend upgrading the fixture to a 24" Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia Pro T 5 12% bulb - the distance and placement for the T 5 is different than the T 8-- it is a stronger bulb - w/ the white urate being chalky hes dehydrated - that comes from not eating -- if you want links for the UVB's I posted let me know I will post some for you -- lets get this fixed first and see what he does --
ya I have a 24 right now. Ill get a new fixture for my bulb. but for now I cracked the screen open after I replied to you last. and he is already acting better in regards to how he basks. his mouth keeps opening. I'm sure he is on the right track now. thank you again. Im so used to having an outside space for him. I moved and now he is mostly inside. he used to get most of his uvb from the sun.

Julesfx13

Bearded Dragon Egg
in just about an hour this is what he's doing.

Attachments

• 20220208_182141.jpg
    20220208_182141.jpg
    931.3 KB · Views: 6

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
in just about an hour this is what he's doing.
Ok the gaping he's adjusting his body temp- the uvb his appetite should increase he should get brighter colors- you have a 24" fixture? Does it have a reflector in it? That can sit on top of your screen providing the screen is a wide hole type+ distance directly above the basking decor 8-10 inches if it's a fine mesh like a screen door it needs to be unobstructed or inside the tank 12-15 inches

Julesfx13

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok the gaping he's adjusting his body temp- the uvb his appetite should increase he should get brighter colors- you have a 24" fixture? Does it have a reflector in it? That can sit on top of your screen providing the screen is a wide hole type+ distance directly above the basking decor 8-10 inches if it's a fine mesh like a screen door it needs to be unobstructed or inside the tank 12-15 inches
its does not have a reflector it is much closer but I can make an extension on the cage so he can't get out. that way I can raise the light fixture and the heat lamp. it is a fine mesh like a screen door. Ya id like his colors to come back. he has a beautiful yellow orange color to him. he usually gets that when we go outside. I know I've done a lot of things right but I never knew the screen could have been the problem this whole time. he's never had his full color inside his cage only outside. I wish I knew that when I did my research before I got him.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
its does not have a reflector it is much closer but I can make an extension on the cage so he can't get out. that way I can raise the light fixture and the heat lamp. it is a fine mesh like a screen door. Ya id like his colors to come back. he has a beautiful yellow orange color to him. he usually gets that when we go outside. I know I've done a lot of things right but I never knew the screen could have been the problem this whole time. he's never had his full color inside his cage only outside. I wish I knew that when I did my research before I got him.
Please get a reflector I can post a link for reflectors I'm the morning but you really need one at this point the rays are going all over the tank or you can get a new fixture it's up to you

Julesfx13

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get a reflector I can post a link for reflectors I'm the morning but you really need one at this point the rays are going all over the tank or you can get a new fixture it's up to you
yes please post a link for reflectors.

Latest posts