• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Oh the controversy

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
Sani chips, some hate them some, well most people just hate them. And for good reason with impaction scares. I will probably be picking up play sand today after work to switch out the chips
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410198443.525339.jpg

I have it set like this to fill the gap that the tiles couldn't. He enjoys throwing it around from what it looks like. But I don't want risk of impaction no matter how "cool" it looks. Not a big fan of repti carpet or news paper. So it sounds like plays and is the left over option.

Anyone have issues with it ever?

What's the process for cleaning it before putting it in the cage?

If it dissolves when wet what happens if he spills water on some (yes I have a water dish, he actually drinks out of it occasionally haha)

Marquez0352

Hatchling Dragon
We've always had sand for our Button. Never had a problem. We got her when she was as big as a pinky finger. She is now 7 months old. She appears to love to dig and cuddle in it inside her "turtle power", or she will lounge sprawled across it in the warm side.

We do provide a feeding bowl for her food so she can eat from it. But even when feeding her crickets, we noticed at first, when it was brand new to her, she was clumsy about it and would miss first few tries and hit the sand. We were scared of course so we kept close eye on her. But she wasted no time in learning how to carefully go for a cricket. It was visibly obvious she followed her instincts as far as being careful with the sand as well. She's now a clever monster to the crickets lol

Cleaning: we usually get sand from Petsmart, doesn't require cleaning before putting it in. We sift it clean every weekend or as needed. But it's important to change it every 6 weeks because it does start smelling. If water spills on it it'll dry up on its own. It's as if she was out in the wild.

It's a bit of high maintenance having sand, and pricy. But our Button is totally worth making the extra effort providing fun clean pretty sand for her

Marquez0352

Hatchling Dragon
Btw you're lucky your little one drinks from the bowl! Button prefers being sprayed in the face lol or dripping it on her nose. She's so prissy!

Tyler_Vance

Juvenile Dragon
Btw you're lucky your little one drinks from the bowl! Button prefers being sprayed in the face lol or dripping it on her nose. She's so prissy!

He had a big bowl in his last enclosure that he'd splash around in but it was to big for my liking. And I feel like the sani chips are soft enough especially when wet that they would pass through him easily but I don't want to be wrong

Marquez0352

Hatchling Dragon
We aren't familiar with sand chips, so we can't give a knowledgeable opinion on that :/ sorry.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Children's play sand is very cheap. You can get like 50 lbs for 6 bucks or something like that. When I used it, I just gave it a real good rinse to get out any chunks of rocks or whatever and then I baked it for about 20 minutes to dry it out.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Those are not your only options Tyler. You could always go with the most natural and healthy option, a bioactive soil. ;)

54D55096-7880-47C3-ABC2-3714D7277899_zpstcqzvoai.jpg

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hahaha, itll turn you green! ;) Just kidding, of course.

Not dangerous at all. Its a little trickier to set up, but easier once you have it going. Its basically creating a mini ecosystem inside your enclosure, sort of like you do with a fish tank and the water.

Latest posts