• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Oh Poop?

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok, Scarlet has been with us for two weeks today and has only pooped once or twice. It was hard to tell before as she was in sand and the food would clump up with sand and it was hard to tell what was what. We got rid of all the sand and she is now on newspaper. It will be a week on Sunday that she's been out of the sand and she has not pooped once. She is eating really good and not acting any dif than before. She did lay eggs last Friday to Saturday night. Is it possible that she is just recovering from the egg laying, does it take awhile for their little systems to be back to normal working order? I have been bathing her as someone on here suggested. She seems to like it and last night she actually was sort of "swimming". She was also drinking a lot of the water. Could she just be dehydrated and this causing her to be constipated? I laid her on her back last night and felt her belly and around her vent and it was all nice and soft, no hard places as far as I could tell. Any help much appreciated.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If her eating habits haven't changed than that's a good sign. Her metabolism might have switched up when she produced the eggs & her body has 2 readjust. Her drinking water is definitely a sign of dehydration & daily baths are recommended along with extra greens. She could also be a little stressed over the substrate change as well, change in the environment can affect their mood.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I will keep bathing her then. Is it ok to do that daily until she is hydrated or should I stick to every other day? As far as food, she is a PIG, LOL. That's why I can't understand why she hasn't pooped as what goes in must come out. I guess i can expect a big one when she does go. YIKES.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I will keep bathing her then. Is it ok to do that daily until she is hydrated or should I stick to every other day? As far as food, she is a PIG, LOL. That's why I can't understand why she hasn't pooped as what goes in must come out. I guess i can expect a big one when she does go. YIKES.
Remember, she just laid eggs & extra calcium & vitamins are needed as well. Keep bathing her. When she does produce a BM & it's loose (meaning wet) then you will know she is hydrated, bath schedule & diet can go back 2 normal. Regular lettuce is mostly water & is also good for hydrating, not a recommended staple food.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
This week I have been giving her Mustard Greens and she loves them. She is not crazy about bell peppers or the butternut squash. I have given her apple a few times, but she isn't wild about it either. I went out the other day and got Meal and Wax Worms for her in addition to Crickets. I give her Crickets & greens one day and then just greens the next and then a mixture of the worms & greens etc. I have been very very lightly dusting everything with calcium powder. I have never given her any additonal vitamins. Do I need to if she is eating good? She also always has a dish of the dried pellet food available to her. I wet it just a little bit and she seems to like it too. So just to be clear, should I bathe her daily or is that to much? And if I need to add vitamins how much and how often?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Daily warm baths are recommended until she has a Bowel Movement. Massaging belly toward the vent is also a good method 2 use, just don't flip her over on her back (not good). If you don't feel anything in her belly that seems 2 be impacting her then that's a good thing but a BM would still be nice. As far as extra vitamins & calcium goes, 1-2 more dustings a wk will be fine. Waxworms & crix are cool but try 2 get Superworms if u can in place of Mealies. Mealworm's shells can even be difficult 4 adults 2 digest.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Really??? Shoot, that's what I heard about Superworms. Also heard that they can bite the beardie and you have to crush their heads. And i am NOT crushing a worms head, I have a hard enough time keeping them in my fridge :confused: and handling them otherwise. Sure I'll get used to it but for now it is just NASTY!!!! Why is it bad to flip them on their backs? She just laid there when I did it last night. She really didn't seem to mind it at all. I did rub her belly towards the vent, and I didn't feel anything hard. Of course I wasn't pressing real hard either. But her tummy felt nice and soft and squishy. I'll go give her another bath right now and see if it helps. I'll keep you posted. Thanx for the advice.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've had adult dragons regurgitate mealworms & have never had an issue with superworms. I read somewhere that flipping them over can shut them down, I'll try 2 locate & pass on.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I've had adult dragons regurgitate mealworms & have never had an issue with superworms. I read somewhere that flipping them over can shut them down, I'll try 2 locate & pass on.
Oh my, I wont do that again. I just wanted to look at her belly and feel for anything hard. It was just easier with her on her back. If you have a link that would be great as I haven't heard anything about that, wow whodathunkit?

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
We had given our first 2 dragons mealies, as we had been told to feed them when we got them, fed them went into kitchen then came back thru and you would have thot a bomb had exploded in the viv. As JeffO said they had regurgitated the worms and it really wasnt very nice. We have never used mealies again, and always advise others not to use them either. I use wax or calci worms with mine and crickets. I also bath mine everyday as they dont drink from a water bowl and the bath is the only way they will drink if they need to, this also seems to be were they like to poop.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well, I will keep the Meal Worm advice in mind. So far she hasn't had any trouble. I only give her about six of them and six Wax Worms. So maybe the combo of the two is helping her digest them. I have just heard horror stories about Super Worms. Funny how everybody has a dif opinion on things. I love coming here to hear what everybody has to say. So you guys don't crush the Super Worms before you feed them? And aren't they even bigger than the Meal Worms and in turn tougher on the outside? Ahhhhhh..so much to learn. BTW she still hasn't pooped :(

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well, I will keep the Meal Worm advice in mind. So far she hasn't had any trouble. I only give her about six of them and six Wax Worms. So maybe the combo of the two is helping her digest them. I have just heard horror stories about Super Worms. Funny how everybody has a dif opinion on things. I love coming here to hear what everybody has to say. So you guys don't crush the Super Worms before you feed them? And aren't they even bigger than the Meal Worms and in turn tougher on the outside? Ahhhhhh..so much to learn. BTW she still hasn't pooped :(

How long are you letting her soak in her bath for? Maybe try leaving her in with lovely warm water for a little longer see if that helps. I also use a small cup and gently pour the water over my dragons backs and usually after a few mins they poop. It may also be worth a trip to your local reptile vet just to get her checked out after all she has been thru xx

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
OMG & HOLY $**T!!!! I will say the bath time was a success this morning. I ran her a nice warm bath in my bathroom soaking tub. She seems to really like it in there as she has lots of room to float and swim. I was holding her in my hand and gently rubbing her belly when all of a sudden I felt her tense up and ka-blam and ka-blam she let it all out. It was more poo than in a babies diaper, after all it was like a week and a half worth of stuff. And it smelled so, so bad. Long story short I am hoping that she will be back on track now. I fed her a veriety of crickets, meal & wax worms (about 3 of each) for breakfast and she is now happily basking. Thank you so much JeffO & Dragonsx6 for all of your help!!!!

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thats fantastic 117star, so pleased you will be feeling relieved and she will be feeling so much better too :D
Thank you!!!! I sure am relieved as I was truly thinking I would have to run her to the vet on Monday if she still hadn't gone. Poor thing, she had to be miserable with ALL OF THAT held in for so long.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Another big stinky bomb was dropped at bath time tonight!!!! Thanx so much for sharing this little trick with me. I would never have thought of bathing my beardie to bring on a poop, LOL. I think the first time I soaked her I didn't have the water hot enough because I ran it a little warmer the past two times and it worked like a charm. Is every other day good or should I soak her daily?

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i do my lot everyday, but that just because they dont drink any other way, but some people only bath them everyother day
She didn't drink at all this time. The second bath I gave her she was guzzling like crazy. I think I'll shoot for every other day if she continues to poop for me. If she doesn't poop one day I'll give her another the next. I need to get my daughter to do this stuff, it is her dragon afterall. :)

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah somedays they drink like they never gonna stop, but other days they dont drink at all, I just got into the way of doing it everyday and that how I do it now. Just do it what every way works best for you & your girl. I been saying for years I'm gonna get my daughter to do it, but it's always me :)

Latest posts