• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ODIN

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well people. I am at a crossroads concerning ODIN.
I do not know whether to euthanase him/her.

A few facts: ODIN has only one eye, seems to have some sort of Neurological Condition, has not eaten to date, is very weak and stays in one place almost all of the time.

I write this with a heavy heart. I would like to ask the members of the Forum to help me decide on whether I should euthanase ODIN or not.

Monique, can I please impose on you to put up a poll, with two simple questions. 1) Euthanase 2) Do Not Euthanase
I plan to look at the poll on Friday Afternoon and depending on the vote, will take action on Saturday.

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I just found something on another Forum, which I am going to try first.

I will try to feed ODIN with some Baby Purity Food. I just don't know what flavour.

I hear the comment about Quality of Life, and If the Purity doesn't work, I will have to live with euthanasia on my conscience.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have to agree with Janie - quality of life. Is force feeding going to provide Odin with a life that is full? These little guys pull at our heart strings and putting anyone down is the most difficult decision some of us may ever face. I was forced to make this decision twice with my furry 4 legged family members. It is not easy.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Roland Im so sorry to hear Odin is doing poorly.
Im the same as you will try to help till the end.
But as for our selections of purity the only 2 i would recommend using as an additive to a slurry is the butternut and sweet potato ones. Look for stage 1 its the finest. and the only ones that dont have added crap like pasta and yeast.
For the slurry...heres a ling Lisa poste for me when P was sick. Very healthy and nutritious.

http://mybeardie.com/bearded-dragon...oor-poor-pogie-she-is-sick/msg33176/#msg33176

If it doesnt work go to "health" . . . . "poor pogie is sick" . . . . page 3

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey Roland
Sorry to hear Odin is having a hard time. I am for quality of life, however, I realize that doesn't necessarily help the matters of your emotional bond here. I do understand that Odin has a home with you as a "special needs" dragon and you take that on regardless of the impact.

Describe as vividly as you can this "neurological condition" you may be seeing. Some things have ways around them, some don't.

The issue of the one eye, lack of motivation, and most likely coordination, i've dealt with before. And I have another recipe that will benefit a baby more than one with greens as it's base. it's being sent to you.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am so sorry s/he is not doing good. This is a hard one, you don't want to give up too soon but you don't want to let him/her suffer. I am one for quality of life, if there is nothing that can make it better then I would euthanize it but first try everything possible. It is hard to say what I would do because I can't see what you see. I would try to do the force feeding first, it might perk up if it has some food in it.

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank You All.
LadyKnight - thanks, I have the Recipe.

I was talking to Monique last night, and the symptoms may not be Neurological at all, but rather caused by having only one eye.

Odin does move around to different sections of the enclosure, but I have seen him/her sort of thrash around in an anti-clockwise circle from time to time. It is the left eye which has not developed, and anti-clockwise means that ODIN turns in the direction of the missing eye.

ODIN is also very lethargic, but this is maybe a result of being undernourished.

We did a test last night by putting ODIN on his/her back, and he/she flips over onto the belly everytime. I see this as an encouraging gesture, so will start force feeding with "THE RECIPE' ASAP.

Oh, and please don't ask me for the RECIPE, it is not mine to distrbute.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good luck and I hope the recipe works and s/he gets stronger.

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
You know, ODINS' will to live is really strong.
ODINS' condition looks to be in good shape, apart from being a bit weak, the belly seems to be full and the girth across the back remains broad.
I think ODIN may be eating greens, unseen by me, to keep what looks like a healthy condition.
I will now try to get some protein into him/her.

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Aww, I'm so sorry that s/he is going through such a rough time. It sounds like the little feller has a very strong will though. Just keep doing what you're doing, and if s/he gets progressively worse I'd consider euthanasia.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How bout an update Roland? And some pics of Odin

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Oops, I have just been so busy here at work. It is what we call the beginning of the silly season.

Odin is doing well, h/she seems to even have put on some weight, despite the fact that I have not had much succes with feeding the slurry, mainly because I am so scared of causing injury in getting the little mouth open. I will however succeed. Odin does eat a lot of greens from what I have noticed, and I do of course dust all greens with Calcium and VitaminD3, as per procedure learned on the Forum.

I will post a pic or two of Odin tomorrow.

Trip is doing splendidly by the way.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow...how did I ever miss this post? I'm so happy to hear that Odin is getting a chance, but totally understand the emotional process of euthanization. Glad to see Odin is improving to the point that it's not an option, now.

Looking forward to pics! Kudos to you, Roland, for your hope and optimism. It looks to be paying off!

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Good Morning. Here is a pic of Pocket (The hold back Runt of the clutch), Odin and Trip. Obviously running from left to right with Odin in the centre. Interestingly enough, Odin is now the biggest of the three and I think in very good condition. I will however wait to hear what you guys and gals think.

DSC01757.jpg

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Odin looks like he's filling out good. Has he tried hunting on his own? Generally a small bowl they can get in and out of does the trick well. Keeps the crix in, baby eats at will in a confined space.

The little guy on the right upper corner. Is that tissue doing ok or does it appear to be discoloring any at all?

Latest posts