• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nutritious Salads

Leopardfire

Bearded Dragon Egg
I feed my dragons 100% romain lettuce salads everyday. This is their main food source, but I was wondering if they need more variety in their diet. I was thinking about heating some mixed veggies and putting those in everyday but I don't know if that's good for them. What other greens should I use on a daily/weekly basis to provide a more balanced diet?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Romaine is a very poor staple diet ...

Check out this Nutrition list & try to find & feed as much as you can that is highlighted in green for a staple diet with what's hilited in black as a periodic change up.

Beautiful Dragons Nutrition Chart

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Yeah the nutrition list is your friend. If you live in a decent-sized city, you can get collard greens, mustard greens, and prickly pears for your dragon. All of those items are less than $1 here in San Antonio. What's nice is you can feed those to your feeders as well, which is what I end up doing since my dragon refuses to eat salads.

Edit: here's the link http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutritionframeset.html (link wasn't showing up for me under Germ's post, so just in case you have the same situation).

Leopardfire

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the link, it wasn't showing up for me either. I will defiantly start feeding different greens. I had no idea that romain had such little nutrition. Do you think that feeding mustard and collard greens one week and then cactus and some other greens another week and so on would be a good feeding routine.?

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I would try several combinations and see what works best for you and your dragon. Make sure your dragon will actually eat those greens. Give it a week or two on the new greens if your dragon is hesitant before marking it off the list of things that dragon won't eat. Heck, throw some squash in every now and then... change it up a little. Mine really like bell peppers, just got to watch how many you give them because they'll give them the runs and of course not as a staple.

Leopardfire

Bearded Dragon Egg
My dragons seem to like anything that's green. If they think it's lettuce, they are usually willing to try it. They won't touch colorful foods like carrots, tomatoes, and peppers though. I guess they need more time.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
My dragons seem to like anything that's green. If they think it's lettuce, they are usually willing to try it. They won't touch colorful foods like carrots, tomatoes, and peppers though. I guess they need more time.
Try shredding them and mixing them in with the greens. It's best to get them used to color variations. Germ has dragons that won't even touch their pellets cept for the green ones.

manzeez

Hatchling Dragon
Nice pic of your dragon well as it go's spike is the same try putting a bit of pepper cut up fine under his greens it works for me with some meelies

Latest posts