• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

not pooping

mbot219

Bearded Dragon Egg
My beardie hasn't been going poop regularly. He poops 1-2 times a week. He IS on sand but it's the proper type and huge is 18". He eats with no problem, runs around and glass dances all the time. If anyone can offer any advice besides a vet visit it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How old is your beardie?

Depending on the age of the beardie, they poop more when they're babies and juveniles. Adults don't always go every day and there isn't really anything to be concerned about unless he hasn't gone to the bathroom for weeks, then you can start worrying.

If he hasn't gone by then, you can try babyfood prunes, a dab of olive oil on the snout, or babyfood applesauce (apples). These are great laxatives and sometimes works.

How long are you giving him time to soak and sit in the bath? 15-20 minutes? Less than 15-20 minutes? Is the water lukewarm or warm? Have you tried massaging his belly while in the bath?

Now, considering mine, mine'll go every day once or twice. Sometimes she'll skip a day and go the next day.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
It really doesn't sound like you have any cause for concern at present. You should keep in mind that what your dragon eats today is not what he leaves as a "deposit" the next day in the great majority of cases. It can take 36 hours or more sometimes for digestion and processing of their food to complete. There are also many factors that determine the rate of digestion and those factors can change from day to day with your dragon so in reality there is normally not going to be one set number of days between poops that can be termed "proper regularity" in dragons.
The fact that your dragon is pooping a couple of times a week is fine and unless his stool has a heavy pungent odor or you notice a drastic change in its appearance then he should be fine.
While 20-25 minute soaks in 105 degree Fahrenheit water accompanied by gentle massaging of the dragons belly can help induce a bowel movement and while under some circumstances it can be necessary to do multiple soaks in a week or day there is a process to that remedy which should be followed and it should not be used unless it has been over a week or more since your dragon's last bowel movement. Doing so otherwise in my opinion is both excessive and harmful to the creature.
I am also not a believer nor would recommend in taking such measures as feeding a bearded dragon oils or foods which act in a laxative manner except perhaps as a very last resort as these things can have very negative and potentially harmful effects on the creature.
Your best remedy by far in most cases when it comes to dragons and their pooping schedule is simply exercising a bit of patience and letting things happen in their own time.
Far too many dragon keepers get hung up on and obsessive about dragon poop. Its understandable to some degree in our attempts to make everything perfect and at the same time dealing with any creature who doesn't have the ability to say to us "I'm feeling fine!".
It's certainly great to show concern for their well-being but we have to learn and distinquish what is cause for concern and what is not and we also have to realize what is normal and okay for their species may not always be what we see as normal and okay for our species.
Come to think of it, truth be know and millions of dollars spent on surveys I think that in fact not pooping every day is not a real cause for concern in any species...Lol..and yet we find most forums on bearded dragons chocked full of threads and posts with panicked pleas of " OMG HE DIDNT POOP TODAY!!!!" and equal amounts of folks heralding the calls to alarm with emergency solutions to blast the poor dragons bowels clear :eek: smh
Again I really do not believe you have anything to be concerned with and certainly at this point nothing to lose sleep over:)
Hope this helps!

Enjoy!

Latest posts