• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not pooping

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
Fox hasn't pooped yet and he ate a few days ago along with yesterday, and today I found him in his tank with a somewhat black beard so I went to pick him up and his belly was all out and it looked like it was full of air, I carried him downstairs and during that time he flattened out and his beard turned orange as I put him in the bath tub with some water thinking he was constipated. He didn't poop when the water turned cold so I do t know what's going on.
Why did his belly puff up like that is he ok?

Ben Rivera

Hatchling Dragon
What kind of substrate do you have? Also what kind of live protein do you feed Fox? I'd bathe Fox everyday. Definitely keep a close eye of Fox. I hope someone out there can give advice on other feeding and possible impaction remedies.

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
He's been on calcium sand ever since his owner got him, and I'm almost positive that's not the problem. He's very hydrated, he eats cucumbers or lettuce every time I give it to him and will sometimes drink the water in the bath.
I'll try giving him a bath every day, I'm hoping he'll poop.
He eats crickets every time my dad gets them for my leopard geckos(which i normally feed him them for about a week until I run out and wait for more) I'm thinking the problem might be the fact I'm trying to get him to eat fruit along with his veggies and I've never really done that before, I've been putting in grapes for him to get him to eat those and he does. Plus he just finished shedding a while ago and that also might be something.
Although I have no idea what it means when his belly puffed up

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
They don't poop every day. In fact they could go a week without pooping. You could drip a few drops of olive oil on his nose to help get things moving.

The calcium in calci-sand is the same calcium that they use for antacids. If you've never taken one before, go buy some Tums and take 3. They are very chalky and your mouth will feel dry. Now imagine inhaling and eating that for 12 hours a day. Doesn't sound pleasant. I'm not totally against sand (I used sand in the past) but children's play sand is much safer than calci-sand.

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
Well I'm moving him to a larger tank once we move (about a week) so I might take you up on that and put him on playground sand, he's going into a 36x18x18 I believe ( I think that's a 40 gal)
What if I put some olive oil on his cucumber, just a piece because he doesn't like to lick things off of his nose

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Putting olive oil on his cucumber is fine too. I was worried about Luci not pooping once and I put some mineral oil on a piece of collard green and he went the next day.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I don't think shedding has to do with it unless he's not really eating much.

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
Update: I tried to bathe him to get him to poop but he wouldn't so I just fed him a few cucumbers with 100% extra virgin olive oil (I'm not sure if the percent or anything makes a difference) but I'm hoping it'll get him to poop! Fingers crossed!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Good luck. When I was worried about Luci not pooping it took maybe a day for the oils to work. I used olive oil and mineral oil.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I wouldn't give too much. When I did it I just did a couple drops on a piece of collard green and he ate it right up. I did it in the morning and the evening and the next morning he left a big present!

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
Well he ate a quite a bit (shame on me) and then he stepped all over them, I'm just hoping it'll do the trick and make him poop.
Thank you for dealing with me patsyB and my freaking out over the lack of poop

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
No problem. It's easy to freak out over things just remember they are different than us and things that aren't normal for us may be perfectly normal for them. Like pooping everyday, normal and healthy for us but they are okay with not going for a week or so.

Latest posts