• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not enough heat

GODZILLAthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello!
I have a few month old bearded dragon is a 40 gallon. With a uvb strip and a 100 watt heat lamp. It’s starting to get colder where I live and the tank won’t get over 98 degrees. Obviously that is not warm enough, so is there any way I can add more heat. Like a heat emitter bulb? Will two bulbs burn him?If so what wattage? I will also keep it on at night. ( I have an extra spot for another bulb from when I used to have a uvb coil bulb) All answers are appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello!
I have a few month old bearded dragon is a 40 gallon. With a uvb strip and a 100 watt heat lamp. It’s starting to get colder where I live and the tank won’t get over 98 degrees. Obviously that is not warm enough, so is there any way I can add more heat. Like a heat emitter bulb? Will two bulbs burn him?If so what wattage? I will also keep it on at night. ( I have an extra spot for another bulb from when I used to have a uvb coil bulb) All answers are appreciated!
How are you getting that basking temp? NO stick ons they are only good for ambient heat -- you need a digital probe thermometer to get a actual accurate temp--- if you are getting it that way I would increase the bulb wattage from what I am seeing that may be too close for the basking decor piece -- you do not want to burn him up you need temps 105-110 for a baby -- make sure you have that probe BEFORE changing the bulb out-- your UVB is it a T 5 or a T 8 -- T 8's cannot sit on top of the screen they are not strong enough to go thru the screen they need to be inside the tank w/ NO plastic cover over the bulb approx 6-8 inches from basking decor

GODZILLAthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
How are you getting that basking temp? NO stick ons they are only good for ambient heat -- you need a digital probe thermometer to get a actual accurate temp--- if you are getting it that way I would increase the bulb wattage from what I am seeing that may be too close for the basking decor piece -- you do not want to burn him up you need temps 105-110 for a baby -- make sure you have that probe BEFORE changing the bulb out-- your UVB is it a T 5 or a T 8 -- T 8's cannot sit on top of the screen they are not strong enough to go thru the screen they need to be inside the tank w/ NO plastic cover over the bulb approx 6-8 inches from basking decor
I have a digital probe thermometer right now(I’ll add a photo) my uvb is a T5 with reflector. I will move the big branch and lower the hammic to add more distance. So should I get a heat emitter or a higher watt heat bulb

GODZILLAthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a digital probe thermometer right now(I’ll add a photo) my uvb is a T5 with reflector. I will move the big branch and lower the hammic to add more distance. So should I get a heat emitter or a higher watt heat bulb

Attachments

• F7CB99AD-E20E-47C4-9B43-3B598618E2C1.jpeg
    F7CB99AD-E20E-47C4-9B43-3B598618E2C1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ok that is good w/ the probe --- you would need the CHE for nite time temps of 65 or below --- I know its getting colder now and I have yet to turn my CHE's on yet -- you need basking temps to 105-110- try a higher wattage bulb or add another dome next to the 100 watt and put in a 25 watt --and get the temp -- you may haft to do some adjustments w/ the basking decor piece so your not getting them too hot --- sometimes the 150 is too much so you have different options of getting the basking temps up there -- I cant see the screen for that T 5 is it a fine mesh screen like a screen door or a wide holed screen ?

GODZILLAthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
ok that is good w/ the probe --- you would need the CHE for nite time temps of 65 or below --- I know its getting colder now and I have yet to turn my CHE's on yet -- you need basking temps to 105-110- try a higher wattage bulb or add another dome next to the 100 watt and put in a 25 watt --and get the temp -- you may haft to do some adjustments w/ the basking decor piece so your not getting them too hot --- sometimes the 150 is too much so you have different options of getting the basking temps up there -- I cant see the screen for that T 5 is it a fine mesh screen like a screen door or a wide holed screen ?
So I will get a 25 watt heat lamp in the other lamp. I have a wide hole screen not mesh. Tonight when I get home I will move the branch on the other side and then lower the hammock.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I will get a 25 watt heat lamp in the other lamp. I have a wide hole screen not mesh. Tonight when I get home I will move the branch on the other side and then lower the hammock.
Ok so the UVB can stay on top make sure basking decor piece is directly under it w/ 8-10 inches from it -- see if that 25 watt will get your basking temps to where they need to be

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Just get a ceramic heat bulb, they produce heat but no light. Works great for adding some extra heat both at day and at night :)

Latest posts