• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not Eating!

touche

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So he now hasn't eaten in a month! Awake, good fecal test, drinks, baths.
But won't eat, 8 mos. old. Skin getting baggy and base of tail getting smaller.
Temps perfect, I thought it was the start of brumation, slept for 2 days,
but wide awake again?
How long can they go without eating?
Thanks.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
they can go awhile without eating, however, when it's done, there is usually very little weight loss (brumation)

Can you tell us what your lighting is like and how old it is?
What prey items are you using?
Has he been treated for anything by the vet lately?

Clean fecal? Was that a float or a smear?

touche

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
As per previous posts, clean fecal, don't know if a smear or not.
The UV will be replaced tomorrow to a ReptiSun 1.0, now it is a
ReptiGlo 1.0 and 6 mos. old. 100 watt basking light 100 F, baths 2X/week.
Used to eat crix and superworms, now nothing. I have tried silks, horms, wax, meal and pheonix in the past and won't eat them.. Too pricey to keep throwing away.
Hasn't been treated for anything by Vet. Only ever ate Arugula, right now he has grated carrot, butternut squash, zuccini, pear and chopped green bean on a dish.
Bugger...turns his nose up all of it! I'm getting very frustrated with him!
Also 2 dusted crickets walking into his face! Nothing! He's active enough, skin on his back is getting baggy, still comes out on his harness weekly. Should I try to order some ReptiAid?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think a month is a long time not to eat. But if he is in a semi-state of brumation, I guess it is possible.

When was the last time he pooped?

BTW...I hope you mean the 10.0 and not 1.0. I'm guessing it was a typo.

touche

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Meant 10.0, sorry about that. Pooped last week in the bath.
Do they semi-brumate?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes ! lol
Some will only go down for a few days a week, to a month or so.. Others just pass out and are down for several months. It all depends on the dragon, though I highly suspect once you change out that glo for the Sun, in a week or so, you'll see a different dragon ;)
Janie.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I wish I could say that there is rhyme and reason to brumating, but there are so many differences out there, it is difficult to say, they are brumating or no, they are not brumating.

I think you are doing the right thing with the regular baths, offering food, and watching your beardie closely. I agree that you will most likely see a change for the better when you switch UV bulbs.

Latest posts