• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not eating...

crystal leonard

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello... please help... I have a almost 2 year old male(I think..he acts female) who won't eat much if anything on his own... I feel I have to force feed him and I hate it... took to vet couple weeks back and he did have worms and parasites... after two rounds of meds he still wont eat on his own...unless it's a hornworm... starting to have saggy eyes so what can I do... vet said next is blood work and xrays. Money isn't a huge issue but I don't wanna put him thru that just yet and especially if I can do something at home for him..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Antibiotics are really hard on their gut have you given him some probiotics to help restore the natural good gut flora??

crystal leonard

Bearded Dragon Egg
I totally forgot about that... I read about that and forgot about it... I ordered some today... hey can yuou help me out with another question about my rescue, Zeus? He is about 3-5 years old.. no one knows for sure... he has the boys eyes and is really skinny... tonight when I was bathing him he took water from a syringe for me... I noticed his tongue is pretty big and when I gave him supper worms he seems to struggle... his back story is he has had two previous owners... the ones before us didn't have a heat lamp on him and never gave him calcium... so we figured he just needed to get temps right which we did and add calcium which we have but he struggles eating the worms.. I rather roaches but I'm easing him in... he is supper sweet though... puffs up but still let's us hold him.. just worried about his eyes and tongue. Got to work some over time to get money to take him in but can I do anything???

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I totally forgot about that... I read about that and forgot about it... I ordered some today... hey can yuou help me out with another question about my rescue, Zeus? He is about 3-5 years old.. no one knows for sure... he has the boys eyes and is really skinny... tonight when I was bathing him he took water from a syringe for me... I noticed his tongue is pretty big and when I gave him supper worms he seems to struggle... his back story is he has had two previous owners... the ones before us didn't have a heat lamp on him and never gave him calcium... so we figured he just needed to get temps right which we did and add calcium which we have but he struggles eating the worms.. I rather roaches but I'm easing him in... he is supper sweet though... puffs up but still let's us hold him.. just worried about his eyes and tongue. Got to work some over time to get money to take him in but can I do anything???

Hmm I am not sure about the tongue issue if there is any way to get a picture while he's eating..it might help to see if it just looks big but isn't...
I do think not having the proper supplements/lighting etc can obviously change their bone structures so maybe that is what is going on??

crystal leonard

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hmm I am not sure about the tongue issue if there is any way to get a picture while he's eating..it might help to see if it just looks big but isn't...
I do think not having the proper supplements/lighting etc can obviously change their bone structures so maybe that is what is going on??
He has all but the supplement cuz he is afraid to eat it seem... my other two take from a syringe if i give them calcium water but he wont take anything from a syringe... and jumps when the syringe touches his mouth. he didn't have the heat light for I dunno how long before I got him... and bathes aren't loosening those pours of his any and he is sensitive down there... only had him three weeks... I'll keep trying though...
b54d788c55a82b1ea877a4e0f7f0cac6.jpg
f71a37d50abb1e300ecccf2a68a62a4b.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well it kinda does look a bit big but its still in the grooves...
I'll post a few of my 2..the first 2 are my female Izzy the last is my male Simon
2b9423277e1960593af5f574f14051d8.jpg
e7b3c12bb0c924213961f157b98ba11f.jpg
a4a33c5ef82a6bbf9cdabf9c252f6893.jpg

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

crystal leonard

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok... I'm just really worried... he is a rescue and don't know the extent of all the damage... don't know if his frog eyes will go away or if his pours will unclog themselves..

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok... I'm just really worried... he is a rescue and don't know the extent of all the damage... don't know if his frog eyes will go away or if his pours will unclog themselves..

Just give him time and keep doing warm soaks with gentle toothbrush scrubbing and in time his pores will clear up to a more natural state.. Remember it's a waxy build up so it will take some time and they may not totally clear up & shrink up as well he's a male and that's a male thing and they will always be somewhat noticeable..
Can you post a picture of his pores?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't think they look that horrible to me.. Just keep up the soaks and maybe increase the temp a bit to loosen the waxy build up and keep using the toothbrush.. Have you looked into dragon wash from Beardeddragon.co that might help.

crystal leonard

Bearded Dragon Egg
Didn't know about it. Here is all three... left to right is oldest to youngest... Zeus, Igor, rye...
434e535325c57bad88f96cd3951a230f.jpg

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
omg i luv luv luv that pic ive had my beardies 3 years now and i cnt put mine together even if the see each other its all bobbing and waving im so jelous id love to have a pic of my boys together.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
his tounge looks fine to me but im not an expert but id say if he has a sore tounge that he would struggle to eat. is he eating fine? and his pours do look a littke dirty but they will mostly always be clogged both of my boys r have full pours at the back of the legs its perfectly normal n it will fill and come out on its own you can gently try to help it after a nice walm soak but dnt pick it out. what sex r ur beardies.

Latest posts