• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

NOT EATING

Edd

Hatchling Dragon
I got a baby beardie 3 days ago 5"-6" and IT (not sure of sex yet) ate ok first day about 10 crickets the first feeding but only 1 meal worm second feeding. Day 2 IT didnt want any crickets (tried 3 times) so I put 2 meal worms in there in the evening IT ate those. Today I put only 6 crickets in IT didnt want anything to do with them. Is this normal for being moved to a strange place and all alone? IT was in a tank with 3 other babies and 2 juvies be for..........BTW I was a Gecko owner for 7 yrs so I have a little knowledge of lizzies.

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It is normal for them to be stressed out and not eating when they get to a new home. Its not time to worry yet, but a few comments:

Regardless of what the pet store may have told you, you want to avoid feeding meal worms. They have hard outer shells that are hard to digest, especially young beardies like you have. Superworms are a better choice, as they have softer outer shells. Some people still won't even feed those until they're adults though. Has it pooped at all since you brought it home?

When a beardie isn't eating or pooping, the very first thing you've gotta check is lights, lights, lights. They are extremely important to have right, but easy to get wrong-especially if you took guidance from the pet store. What kind of lighting do you have and what are the temperatures in your tank? A picture of your set up would be great since you're a new beardie owner- we could help you make sure you've got everything right.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
They are solitary creatures so being on its own shouldnt be a problem. Crickets are good but mine lost interest in them too so I switched to dubias, they are more expensive (unless you start your own colony) but they are a beardie favorite. Plus they cant climb, so you can leave them in a bowl in your viv and your dragon will get round to them when it is hungry and they wont escape. Dont forget to dust them with calcium and vitamin powder. It is also important that any food you give them is of appropriate size (ie, baby crickets and dubias) no bigger than 1cm for a baby the size of yours.
If your lights and temps are good, dont worry, they wont starve themselves, they eat when they are hungry.
It probably made a pig of itself the first day because it was so used to having to compete for food at the pet store with the bigger dragons it was housed with, suddenly the buffet was open.

Edd

Hatchling Dragon
It is normal for them to be stressed out and not eating when they get to a new home. Its not time to worry yet, but a few comments:

Regardless of what the pet store may have told you, you want to avoid feeding meal worms. They have hard outer shells that are hard to digest, especially young beardies like you have. Superworms are a better choice, as they have softer outer shells. Some people still won't even feed those until they're adults though. Has it pooped at all since you brought it home?

When a beardie isn't eating or pooping, the very first thing you've gotta check is lights, lights, lights. They are extremely important to have right, but easy to get wrong-especially if you took guidance from the pet store. What kind of lighting do you have and what are the temperatures in your tank? A picture of your set up would be great since you're a new beardie owner- we could help you make sure you've got everything right.
YES, IT popped last night and today so thats ok. Yes the temp is staying around 95-105 and IT has a stick to get up close to the light (UVB bulb & heat bulb for now) Im going to go with a all in one light in a few days. I trashed the meal worms and will get a more suitable by sun. Is there a pellet U suggest?............ummmm the pic will be soon

Edd

Hatchling Dragon
They are solitary creatures so being on its own shouldnt be a problem. Crickets are good but mine lost interest in them too so I switched to dubias, they are more expensive (unless you start your own colony) but they are a beardie favorite. Plus they cant climb, so you can leave them in a bowl in your viv and your dragon will get round to them when it is hungry and they wont escape. Dont forget to dust them with calcium and vitamin powder. It is also important that any food you give them is of appropriate size (ie, baby crickets and dubias) no bigger than 1cm for a baby the size of yours.
If your lights and temps are good, dont worry, they wont starve themselves, they eat when they are hungry.
It probably made a pig of itself the first day because it was so used to having to compete for food at the pet store with the bigger dragons it was housed with, suddenly the buffet was open.
As I answered in post be for yours temps are 95-105 light is good UVB and heat I have and used calcium powder will get vit. powder........
THANX to both for quick help, Edd

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Temps should be around 107 for a baby that small. Live food and fresh salads are the best foods to feed. They do go through some relocation stress. Try covering 3 sides of the tank to help make it feel more secure.

Edd

Hatchling Dragon
I have a heat pad under one side of tank but it was not on. I have a steady 102 temp with just light...........
It is ON now!!!! Thanx

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a heat pad under one side of tank but it was not on. I have a steady 102 temp with just light...........
It is ON now!!!! Thanx
Beardies don't feel heat from below and can easily be burned, so no under tank heaters or heat rocks should be used at all.. If your night time temps get below 65F then get a CHE ceramic heating element to bring the temp up at night.. If it's daytime temps your looking at increasing then experiment with different wattage bulbs to bring that up..

Here are links for reference that will help you
http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/threads/general-info-set-up-1st-timers.13863/
http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/threads/diseases.13956/
a great reference for feeding :
http://greathousefarm.com/Greathouse-Reptile-Nutrition-List.pdf
and another for lighting:
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/An-In-Depth-Look-At-UV-Light-And-Its-Proper-Use-With-Reptiles/

Latest posts