• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not Eating

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
For the past few days, Baby hasn't been eating as much crickets as usual. Just a few days ago, I bought medium crickets (3 AND 4 week) and I've been feeding her the bigger ones (because Ace is still too small to have those), which I assume would be the 4 week ones. So basically, now she can eat 4 week crickets with no problem. Is it because I switched her to 4 week crickets (from 3 week) that she's not eating as much? (she's getting fuller?). I don't think impaction could be a problem since she's functioning fine and did poop yesterday. Any comments/suggestions?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
how long have you had her? any serious changes to her environment recently? Changed any lighting? What substrate is she on? How do you feed the crickets? Is she housed alone?

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I've had her since mid November. No serious changes, didn't change any lighting, substrate is a smooth top tablecloth. I just put crickets in a big enough Rubbermaid container and let her go at them, and she is housed alone.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
how long have you been feeding her in a seperate bin? do you stand above the bin when you feed her? She may be getting stressed in the container so you will have to give it some time. also, if you are looming overhead it could unhinge her a bit as they get the feeling of a predator above them when something large is looming overhead.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
She's been fed in a separate tank/container since about mid December and I'm usually beside the bin, looking at her. If I notice that she sees me and stops hunting, I walk away lol. But she's never had a problem with me being right there, as she's a ferocious eater. So do you think she's just more full from the change in size of crickets? I mean, since the cricket change, she HAS been eating - just not as much. She went from like 20-25 to about 5-15 on average. Each day has ranged in number.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i dont really use crickets so you would have to give me a size difference. How big of a difference is there between the normal size you fed and what you are feeding now?

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The previous crickets were about 1.4 cm, and now, the crickets are about 1.7 cm. I just used a tape measure, took a look at my crickets, and used my best judgment.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry, I haven't been on lately. Is she still not eating?

Are the larger crickets larger than the space between her eyes?

Other thoughts are temps. What is the temp in her viv? What are you using to measure the temp?

What UV light are you using?

How long after lights on are you feeding?

How long after lights off are you feeding?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry i have neglected to post in this it did slip my mind.

In all honesty it could be that she is filling up quicker but if you answer renee's questions it may help at least rule out a few things.

Latest posts