• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not eating veggies

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
So I'm very new to this but have been doing a lot of homework. I've been giving my beardie a salad everyday that she seems to have little to no interest in. She had nibbled on them from time to time but it's been seldom. I'm going to the store later today to get some different leafy greens to see if that will work. I'm curious though, even with beardies being omnivores has anyone experienced one that was strictly protein only? I think my beardie is a female and from what I read they can be picky eaters so I'm leaning on that being the case. If your wondering, I've been giving her collard greens, cucumber, bell pepper, and alternating between black berries and raspberries.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I'm very new to this but have been doing a lot of homework. I've been giving my beardie a salad everyday that she seems to have little to no interest in. She had nibbled on them from time to time but it's been seldom. I'm going to the store later today to get some different leafy greens to see if that will work. I'm curious though, even with beardies being omnivores has anyone experienced one that was strictly protein only? I think my beardie is a female and from what I read they can be picky eaters so I'm leaning on that being the case. If your wondering, I've been giving her collard greens, cucumber, bell pepper, and alternating between black berries and raspberries.
Limit the fruit and cucumber they will give her watery stools- and yes a lot of people have dragons that wont eat salads - so please order some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com order large DO NOT dust them and feed as many as your want they are a great staple feeder - hand feed her a few then take and drop them on her salad to lure her to the bowl - feed first thing in the morning before you feed the main staple feeder --- this is the key to getting dragons on salads they need to be fed this as babies - some dragons take to salads and love them and some are pains in the butt to get them to eat them but you need to try and get her to eat some even a little is better than none - you will need a ceramic bowl or glass bowl something like this https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah I was planning on trying kale today. I've seen mixed reviews with it. Some saying, like the website you mentioned, don't feed on a regular basis and others swearing by it. One of my coworkers said that when he had one that it was the only leafy green it would eat. Will try to get the bsfl ordered if I can't find any locally. Thank you.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
My beardy is almost two, she has not eaten one salad ive made for her since i got her, she’ll eat ONE BITE of veg/fruit then thats it, i do however heavily gut load my bugs, so my dragon is still getting the nutrients, shes very healthy, has good scale health, etc. , thats my experience, and if more comment you’ll find that a lot of dragons dont eat much veg, still offer it from time to time though, my dragon being the super picky eater that she is these are the things she’ll eat:
Hibiscus leaves and flowers, carrot, cucumber, bell pepper, raspberries, strawberries, mango, bananas, and its only ever one bite, unless i force feed : /

Attachments

• 27732EBE-3C78-42AF-B2E7-FD54328155F8.jpeg
    27732EBE-3C78-42AF-B2E7-FD54328155F8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • CEF6519B-D6CB-454D-81C7-80A7AAF29673.jpeg
    CEF6519B-D6CB-454D-81C7-80A7AAF29673.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
  • CD225FE9-E3B2-4C2E-A6AB-555A9464A1E5.jpeg
    CD225FE9-E3B2-4C2E-A6AB-555A9464A1E5.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 6

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
I've owned Rusty just over a yr now,
He refused to eat any greens at all, no matter what i tried, he ate only his bugs, that i did my best gut loading with,
But then this summer i had him out side, he started eating anything green i managed to get him to not eat grass, but started adding dandelions from outside to his dish, it was slow, but now he eats his salads regularly, I'm amazed this guy would wait out a worm buried in greens all day I'm doing my best to try keeping dandilolions in house, but, the store bought don't seem as interesting to him
Be patient keep offering it

IScarred

Hatchling Dragon
My beardy is almost two, she has not eaten one salad ive made for her since i got her, she’ll eat ONE BITE of veg/fruit then thats it, i do however heavily gut load my bugs, so my dragon is still getting the nutrients, shes very healthy, has good scale health, etc. , thats my experience, and if more comment you’ll find that a lot of dragons dont eat much veg, still offer it from time to time though, my dragon being the super picky eater that she is these are the things she’ll eat:
Hibiscus leaves and flowers, carrot, cucumber, bell pepper, raspberries, strawberries, mango, bananas, and its only ever one bite, unless i force feed : /
Yeah right now I'm gut loading the crickets with the same veggies she isnt eating. So at least I can keep doing that and not worry about her getting what she needs. Thanks for your input.

Ferne the Bearded Dragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
I like to hand feed my beardie. She’s only just over 7 months, and still doesn’t like veggies. But she also LOVES watermelon as a special treat only. Maybe giving the salad some colours and a variety of flavours. Otherwise you can go to your local pet shop and ask For some expertis.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I like to hand feed my beardie. She’s only just over 7 months, and still doesn’t like veggies. But she also LOVES watermelon as a special treat only. Maybe giving the salad some colours and a variety of flavours. Otherwise you can go to your local pet shop and ask For some expertis.
Pet stores are bad for advice --- it is better to get it off forums w/ experienced bearded dragon owners --

Latest posts