• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not eating salad and ignoring food some days

Ashleybell

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah i have a reflector on uvb its arcadia 14% he is literally sitting under it he has moved to half basking spot and half under uvb iv always had a reflector on uvb bulb
Ashley

Ashleybell

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah i will thank u. I know alot of people seem to have this issue its really frustrating but i dont think he has ever had much he is 3 years old so may not eat them at all. Yeah maybe ur one just needs some time i would think at that age be more willing to try things
Ashley

Ashleybell

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so again im having issues with toothless or maybe they arent issues i dont know. For last few days he has been behaving very strange. When i go in his viv he cowers away from me not every time but some times he also spent 48 hours just lying in a corner did not move apart from opening his eyes and closing them. Today is the strangest day he was very skittish pacing his viv and trying to climb up onto the uv reflector his beard was pure black at this point. I stroked him and spoke to him and his beard slowly turned orange again. He has also been hitting his nose off the front of his viv and moving really fast back and forth while clawing the viv iv never seen him do this before. When i opened it he jumped out onto me thankfully i was on the floor so he had my arm to get to. Nothing has changed in his viv his temps are great have been since kayln suggester that new basking bulb iv not moved anything or added anything or changed anything. Any ideas? X

Ashleybell

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah its same place as before. Ok i will try raising it up a bit and see. Weird coz its been there since he moved into tank and that is really weird behaviour iv never seen him do before. He has also been puffing his beard out but not turning black just puffed not sure what that is about ive googled it all and cant seem to get a straight answer. But thanks i will try what you suggested.
Ashley x

Ashleybell

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah its the 14% one so u may be right hes been in tank about 7 weeks maybe. Ok thats good then he never did that before either not that i saw anyway. Ill update if moving uvb helps
Thanks
Ashley

Matthew McCarter

Bearded Dragon Egg
Something in the tank is def bothering him. If not the lights, another thought would be do you remove all uneaten insects? Any uneaten insects left in the tank could be a source of stress.

Ashleybell

Hatchling Dragon
Something in the tank is def bothering him. If not the lights, another thought would be do you remove all uneaten insects? Any uneaten insects left in the tank could be a source of stress.
Yeah i take out all uneaten bugs etc. I have moved the uvb higher but has made no difference. I have not seen that behaviour again but he is just lying about not doing much im now back to moving him to and fr his basking spot again i thought we made progress with him doing that himself but that didnt last long. I made him a hide he likes it but likes it so much he now wont come out i have to take him out try and feed him and put him over to basking area. He is still sometimes flinching when i try to touch him or show him food but not all the time. He also closes his eyes really quick sometimes when i try to feed him. On the plus side i managed to get him to eat a tiny tiny piece of strawberry yesterday! Still no luck with the greens though and the strawberry piece was tiny but its progress.
Ashley

Ashleybell

Hatchling Dragon
Its just now 41 degrees my thermostat set to 40. I use a gun for all the temps i dont use anything else no stick ons or anything as they are not very reliable.
Ashley

Ashleybell

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah his cool side is where he lays its like 26-28 it varies. His hot side goes between 39-41 during the day. When i place him on his basking spot he does stay a good while and appears to enjoy it and gapes etc but he wont go and do it himself like he barely moves around his viv he would happily stay in one spot all day all night then again the next day! He is 3 years old thats what i was told when i got him. He eats his bugs but doesnt seem enthusiastic when eating them and wont go after them i have to put them to him or him to them he will not chase coakroaches so a nightmare as they are so fast most he does is move his head then moves it back once he realises its gone!! He is still same weight as when i had him to vet 420g so not put on and not lost but i imagine at 3 years old he is not going to put on weight unless of course he was fed wrong things which he wont be. I offer the salads every day but always goes untouched i try handfeeding but not interested. Iv tried all the tricks with him like i say a tiny piece of strawberry yest thats progress. He was very thirsty yest i sat ages dripping water on him to drink i even tried putting fruit in the water and swirling it around and he watched it with interest but didnt do anything!!
Ashley

Ashleybell

Hatchling Dragon
I bath him twice a week he likes his baths. I often drip water on him and he drinks it i have done that from the get go but yesterday he was extra thirsty for some reason. Yeah i put calcium and supplements on his bugs and apparently the guy i got him from did too he also said he ate cabbage but for the life of me i cant get him to eat salad of any kind. I might try puree salad and feed him in a syringe to get the taste into him maybe that will work? He doesnt appear to be showing any signs of mbd but like u say the not moving is strange he will move like i just went into kitchen and he was walking away from his basking spot that i put him on earlier and going to cool side. Its his unwillingness to do this himself and unwillingness to eat greens of any kind. He is so gentle and so good natured and loves coming out he roams free in the room most nights when kids are in bed and he enjoys it i just find he isnt the same in his viv and he has a good viv and im always looking for advice to better it or help im just stumped.
Ashley

Ashleybell

Hatchling Dragon
Cant get hornworms here or order them in either wish we could coz i bet he would really like them!!

Ashleybell

Hatchling Dragon
Ok will do. Thanks for all ur help u really have helped me alot. Im no expert by any means but something is not right with him.
Ashley

Latest posts