• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not eating salad and ignoring food some days

Ashleybell

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so he has a CHE for his basking 150 watt. He is in a 4ft wooden viv sorry im scottish i dont do gallons he has an arcadia 10% uvb with reflecter i will try and post a pic of his home. He is quite inactive except when he has to poop. He likes to be handled etc and is very sweet natured but doesnt go crazy for food like i have seen in videos etc.

Attachments

• 15609597684955737659582722017901.jpg
    15609597684955737659582722017901.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 43

Ashleybell

Hatchling Dragon
Sorry it is a 12% one just checked my email reciept. He had a basking bulb one with light and he wouldnt bask? I had to place him under it i have attached a pic. I know he wasnt looked after before as i seen what he was living in. Like today wont touch salad has had 3 morio worms and is not interested in any supper he is just lazing on his hammock??

Attachments

• IMG_20190611_130740.jpg
    IMG_20190611_130740.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 34

Ashleybell

Hatchling Dragon
Im taking my temps with a gun and most days are spot on sometimes i need to turn thermostat up as we do live in scotland and its cold here even in summer!
Is the uvb bulb long enough? As i did have one to fit the viv but the so called breeder i got toothless from said it was too long and would blow my basking bulb being too close?

Ashleybell

Hatchling Dragon
Ok ill replace the bulb what wattage do u recommend? His previous bulb was 75w but his che is 150w..so say this doesnt work as he wouldnt bask before under the bulb rather than che what do you think could be wrong is he not hungry? Is he fussy? Im hoping when bee pollen comes that helps him eat his greens. Toothless was used as a kind of a tool to get the breeders other male to do the buisness so to speak with the female and i reckon he has just been left fed when needed n thats it. Maybe he needs more time to adjust to us? Thank you so much for replying ur an angel i am so stressed trying to get him to be happy and healthy. Theres also alot of conflicting info out there for BD.

Matthew McCarter

Bearded Dragon Egg
Along with everything Kaylyn is suggesting, I would also suggest cutting the salad up into smaller pieces, they cant really take bites their food needs to be smaller than their mouth, also it looks like theres a lot of lettuce in there, lettuce has zero nutritional value, you should use Greens, collards, mustard, ect ect as the staple green

Ashleybell

Hatchling Dragon
Hi thanks i have tried this with numerous greens and fruit and veg cutting into tiny pieces tried hand feeding tried feeding it outwith tank i spent a fortune on bee pollen coz i read that can make them eat veg etc but no joy. Thats actually cabbage in his bowl but it looks like lettuce. I cant get collards mustard greens turnip greens im in scotland so best you get here is spring greens i tried those. He wasnt fed them with the breeder so its going to be a long road. Any other suggestions apart from putting worms in salad and tricking him etc i have tried that. I got a new basking bulb and he likes it but i still have to move him over to it to bask. Most times i have to take him off his hammock to get him to eat his bugs!! He just looks at them otherwise.
Thanks

Ashleybell

Hatchling Dragon
Yes he recently just finished wormer and anti biotic treatment. Im feeding roaches, super worms, wax worms only as a treat, fruit grubs, soldier fly things cant remember their names. Yeah i do all the calcium and supplement dusting i feed the bugs salad so at least he gets a little bit when he eats them. He is eating just not very much like today i did his breakfast and he hasnt moved from the corner to look at the bugs or bask i am at work and have pet cam so i can see him when i need to. So when i go home ill have to put him on his basking spot then put him right infront of his food and coax him yesterday he ate enthusiastically but not very much where he sits at the cool side he is getting light from uvb yes and it is close to the basking spot when he does sit there. He was 420g a few weeks ago and i was waiting till he finished his meds weigh him in a week or so. He doesnt appear to be.
Thank you i will keep u posted as its really frustrating me i cant see any sign of anything wrong with him hes not shedding its like he is brumating but hes actually not if you know what i mean. He doesnt move very much unless roaming the living room in his tank he likes to just lie down on his hammock or on the ground under his hammock near enough all day.
Ashley

Ashleybell

Hatchling Dragon
Only difference in his tank is new basking bulb that u suggested and its much better so thanks for that suggestion
Ashley

Ashleybell

Hatchling Dragon
It is really strange i will def keep an eye on his weight and take him back if any change
Maybe nothing wrong but i find it odd like you said why he isnt taking himself to the basking spot everything ive seen is like dragons get very excited with food esp bugs but hes like nah whatever! He also closes his eyes when i try to feed him!!

Ashleybell

Hatchling Dragon
This is him he has been like this since 7 am not moved

Attachments

• 15616426790294263351011393257221.jpg
    15616426790294263351011393257221.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 12

Ashleybell

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah temps much better with that new bulb more consistent. Weather here one day its nice like today its 18 degrees yesterday was like 12 degrees and rainy we dont live in a hot place even in summer 18 is around hottest we get
Ashley

Ashleybell

Hatchling Dragon
Really? Even though his tank is kept at his temps? I am in the north east of scotland and beside the north sea so yeah we dont get great weather but we are lucky today as its 18 degrees july will be roughly the same but prob more days will be nice we dont get temps like america australia etc wish we did tho! Ok so if he is what do i do coz i didnt think id need to worry till later in year i have read up about it but again lots of conflicting info like leave him be then some say offer food dont offer food etc is there definate signs he is? When he was out roamin yest he was like wide awake?

Matthew McCarter

Bearded Dragon Egg
My guy took almost a month to start eating right after taking wormer and parasite meds, I think you mentioned having probiotics for him keep dusting his bugs with the probiotics along with the cal and vitamins this should help get the good stuff back into his stomach.

Ashleybell

Hatchling Dragon
Ok yeah im still giving him the probiotics along with other supplements too was ur guy same as mine not moving much not basking not eating alot?

Matthew McCarter

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah for the first couple of weeks after the meds he was very sluggish spent a lot of time under his rocks, it seemed a lot like brumintation but its was early summer hear so I knew it wasnt. I had to syringe feed him organic baby food mixed with probiotics for a few days before he even started eating bugs again.

Ashleybell

Hatchling Dragon
Ok shame it must be quite potent to their systems ill keep an eye on him and his weight etc see how he goes but no doubt paranoid me will be back on here asking!! Thanks everyone for susggestions advice much appreciated

Ashleybell

Hatchling Dragon
Theres a first for everything he took himself to basking spot no encouragement from me it did take him till 4pm to do it but hey he did it!! Eating a bit more but still no salad or any greens etc looked like he was going to but decided he wasnt. I do not know what else to do with that side of things
Ashley

Attachments

• IMG_20190630_162845.jpg
    IMG_20190630_162845.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 7