• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not eating, not coming out, not pooping...

PDXoilman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey everyone. New Beardie family here.

From a previous thread, it's been determined that our light and heat are right. For 6 months, she came out the same time every day, and wen to bed around the same time. She pooped every day and ate greens really good and her crickets really good too. She soaks in the tub every other day.

About a month ago, she changed her routine. She will go 2-3 days without coming out, and I have to TAKE her out to feed her. She hasn't eaten greens in about 3 weeks, even though fresh greens are offered every day. She is gaining weight. She I do take her out to feed her (We feed her in a different tank) she used to be very active eating her crickets. Now she won't chase them... only eat when they are right in front of her, or if I offer them by hand. She only poops about once a week now, too.

Is this change normal? I'm worried about her! Thank you for your help!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
How old is she? How long have you had her?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'm not too familiar with females but could she be looking to lay eggs? I know it usually doesn't start till about a year old but I think I read a 5 month old lay their first clutch.

Also, have you had her to the vet? I know crickets carry parasites. She could have worms?

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
She's a virgin. ;)

We haven't been to the vet yet.

She will still have eggs and lay eggs as a virgin. You need to read up on female bearded dragons. They will lay clutches they just won't be fertilized. Just like female humans pass eggs every month, same concept.

I used to feed mine crickets until the vet said they carried parasites and gave me an approved list of foods to feed him. Besides him testing positive for pin worms, which has cost me $86.00 additional on top of a $50.00 vet visit. Crickets NO MORE!!!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
She's a virgin. ;)

We haven't been to the vet yet.

I would hope she's still a virgin as you're not supposed to breed them until they are 2 years old. I assumed she was a virgin!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
When they get older they do tend to get more on the lazy side. I would have her poop tested just to rule out parasites though.

I would check to make sure that your UVB light isn't too old. Typically a T8 size UVB bulb should be changed every 6 months, a T5 size bulb should be changed every 12 months.

mxw0rld is correct, females can produce eggs even without a male present. Although, she is still a little too young for this to happen.

PDXoilman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks. I had no idea they would still lay eggs if unfertilized! Her light is brand new. I just purchased it a few weeks ago, when I was told that might be the problem.

Interesting to learn that about crickets. I have had so many conflicting instructions given online and at pet stores. How does one know what to follow?! I'll get her into the vet ASAP

PDXoilman

Bearded Dragon Egg
When they get older they do tend to get more on the lazy side. I would have her poop tested just to rule out parasites though.

I would check to make sure that your UVB light isn't too old. Typically a T8 size UVB bulb should be changed every 6 months, a T5 size bulb should be changed every 12 months.

mxw0rld is correct, females can produce eggs even without a male present. Although, she is still a little too young for this to happen.

I am mostly worried that she used to poop every day, and now it's MAYBE once a week. Not even while she's soaking, which used to always cause her to poop. Any other suggestions to support her to poop?

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks. I had no idea they would still lay eggs if unfertilized! Her light is brand new. I just purchased it a few weeks ago, when I was told that might be the problem.

Interesting to learn that about crickets. I have had so many conflicting instructions given online and at pet stores. How does one know what to follow?! I'll get her into the vet ASAP

It's no different than chickens laying unfertilized eggs that we eat. It would be gross to eat fertilized eggs/babies. Same concept!

As far as what to feed your beardie your vet should give you an approved list. Dubia roaches are the BEST. it's like a steak to a human and most people feed their beardies dubia's. Crickets are compared to French fries besides the nasty parasites they carry.

Like I said before you should read up on female bearded dragons and I'm guessing whats good for beardies to eat. I have learned that pet store employees do not know anything about the pets they sell. I have 14 hermit crabs as well and every girl at PetSmart which is different every time I go in there, tell me the absolute wrong things to buy for my crabs and now my beardie. Do your research!! I learned the hard way, hence the expensive vet bill with the crickets.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I am mostly worried that she used to poop every day, and now it's MAYBE once a week. Not even while she's soaking, which used to always cause her to poop. Any other suggestions to support her to poop?

Do you have sand in her vivarium? If so she could be impacted.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If there's no sand then you can try baby food prunes, honey and vegetable oil. There's s video on YouTube about it.

PDXoilman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Do you have sand in her vivarium? If so she could be impacted.

No sand. I read that from the beginning. She does love to dig, so I spent weeks looking and settled on rabbit pellets. One half of her tank, where she digs in for the night is large rabbit pellets. Too big for her to eat. She loves to dig. Everything I read said that's ok... I felt bad that she couldn't dig, and I heard her digging a lot on the bottom of an empty tank. Other than that, there is a lot of wood, rocks, etc. that she climbs on and a hammock.

PDXoilman

Bearded Dragon Egg

Patsy, can you please answer me a question... I found MANY people online say that Dragons don't need a water bowl in their enclosure... that soaking is enough. I've never had one... but now I am seeing videos of dragons drinking from water bowls. I've never seen our drink when we soak her... do I need a water bowl?! She soaks 15 minutes every other day.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Patsy, can you please answer me a question... I found MANY people online say that Dragons don't need a water bowl in their enclosure... that soaking is enough. I've never had one... but now I am seeing videos of dragons drinking from water bowls. I've never seen our drink when we soak her... do I need a water bowl?! She soaks 15 minutes every other day.

Some dragons will drink from a water bowl in their tanks but typically they don't really recognize standing water. I would suggest increasing your bathing time 15-30min dribble water on her nose while in the bath the moving water can peak their interest. Just make sure they don't submerge as they can aspirate too much water into their lungs. When mine are really thirsty they will lap up the water.. Many of us deal with dragon's that get constipated...You can get some baby food make sure it's all natural ones like Gerber naturals (just the food item and water for ingredients) pumpkin, squash, prunes....I find it easiest to do the syringe feeding while in the bath easy clean up :) I just put some on their nose tip and typically my female will start licking it so I just keep going as she's licking... Pumpkin is really good for getting them to go, if in a few days that doesn't do the trick you can add in a couple drops olive oil into the mix. Gentle belly rubs...

hope that helps! keep us posted..
Oh and really make sure she can't eat those rabbit pellets you would be surprised at how big their mouths really are... and those would expand in her belly soaking up all her moisture..

PDXoilman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Some dragons will drink from a water bowl in their tanks but typically they don't really recognize standing water. I would suggest increasing your bathing time 15-30min dribble water on her nose while in the bath the moving water can peak their interest. Just make sure they don't submerge as they can aspirate too much water into their lungs. When mine are really thirsty they will lap up the water.. Many of us deal with dragon's that get constipated...You can get some baby food make sure it's all natural ones like Gerber naturals (just the food item and water for ingredients) pumpkin, squash, prunes....I find it easiest to do the syringe feeding while in the bath easy clean up :) I just put some on their nose tip and typically my female will start licking it so I just keep going as she's licking... Pumpkin is really good for getting them to go, if in a few days that doesn't do the trick you can add in a couple drops olive oil into the mix. Gentle belly rubs...

hope that helps! keep us posted..
Oh and really make sure she can't eat those rabbit pellets you would be surprised at how big their mouths really are... and those would expand in her belly soaking up all her moisture..

Thanks. I've never seen her pay any mind at all to the rabbit pellets. She loves to dig down into them. What are other alternatives for digging if sand is so bad?

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I don't think it's the fact that people are rude rather it's just frustration on people getting an animal then asking advice when it is clear they collected the animal before they have googled care needs and put a care plan in place before hand..just in general..my advice is read up what you can then ask questions putting any misunderstood or contradictory information straight

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The water bowl question was already answered. I would avoid giving honey, not really sure if that is safe for bearded dragons. If your beardie hasn't pooped and it's been awhile (mine didn't go for 14 days once), try baby food prunes, canned plain pumpkin, a drop of olive oil on a piece of salad. A bath that is a little bit warmer than a normal bath but not too hot and very gently rub the belly from under the front leg down to the vent. With my girl I even rubbed her vent area and I lifted her tail up in the warm water.

JUNGLE JIM

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Could she be going through brumation. Don't know if I spelled it right but all the changes you mentioned could point in that direction. Getting fat could mean she's gravid or simply due to reduced activity. I'm no expert, just been reading a lot trying to catch up with the times. Years ago with my first beardie I went through the same thing, actually took him to a friend who worked as a herpetologist at the zoo and it turned out he was fine and trying to brumate and I wasn't letting him.

Latest posts