• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not drinking

stinax182

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I've had my bearded dragon for a weak now and have not seen him drink. How long should i wait before possibly syringing it in? He eats a couple pieces of greens but not enough to be hydrated. He's eaten roaches and wax worms and pooped everyday in his 20 min baths. I've dropped water on his head multiple times a day and misted the glass in front of him. I also leave a dish of water in there overnight but he stays cuddled in his hide.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Don't force it with a syringe. Keep dripping water on his nose in the bath. He will eventually drink. What i've noticed with my girl when I drip water on her nose, sometimes her mouth is just slightly open and I will see her swallowing.

candybar213

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
We have had ours for three months with a water bowl everyday and baths often and no one has ever seen him drink water. But he is well hydrated his pooo always has a little run off with it all is well

stinax182

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks guys. And i suppose he could actually just have his mouth open when i drop it on his head, i haven't looked for swallowing, just licking. He's had urates with his poop but that could be from the breeder because I've only had him a week. I pinched his skin and it stays pinched... I just don't want to keep feeding him his bugs without knowing he's hydrated enough to digest them.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Keep dropping it on his nose. He'll figure it out. A week is not a long time. My girl will actually tell me when she's thirsty by flicking her tongue. I trained her now she's training me.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Another thing to try, when it is in the bath take your spray bottle and spray a fine mist onto their face. The droplets will form and run down into the mouth naturally.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Mine like moving water. If u get a tray just a plastic 1 and spray it with a.misting bottle and hold it on its side one ur beardie see it moving they cnt.help but c wot it is.

swanmom05

Bearded Dragon Egg
I spray our dragons with a spray bottle. We breed dragons & i start this with our dragons fresh out of the eggs. I read if you spray them and they drink the water they are thirsty & to do this about 3 times a day (since babies cant have a water dish since they can drown them selves) i have kept this up with all out dragons no matter there size. Eventually you learn the quirks of your dragon as they all unique. Now some see the bottle and come to me. However dragons get most of their water from their salad & baths.

Heather1979

Hatchling Dragon
They absorb water through there vent so don't have to drink . Mine does sometimes but not very often. if you think he may be dehydrated pinch the skin gently on the back of his neck and if it goes back down straight away he's fine of it stays up he's dehydrated

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
They absorb water through there vent so don't have to drink . Mine does sometimes but not very often. if you think he may be dehydrated pinch the skin gently on the back of his neck and if it goes back down straight away he's fine of it stays up he's dehydrated

I know this is a common myth among keepers, but Im afraid it is not true. All moisture comes in their mouth, just like other lizards. They usually do not require drinking as they are adapted to getting all their moisture through their food. However, its always good to give them the option along with the good variety of vegetables.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
No problem, just figured I would help clear it up. Glad to be able to pass on knowledge when I can. Welcome to the forum! ;)

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
What I do t get mine to drink is bring them to a tap have the hot water run very very slow just like a drop every 2 seconds..... I use the hot water because it stays cool and doesn't get hot or colder.... Than I put my beardies nose under the drops.... They generally start lapping it up once they realize what it is..... If they don't I will pull the side of there lip down so it gets into the mouth.... Than they start licking it up like crack...... I do this 2 to 3 times a week...... And keep them under the drips until they move away

Latest posts