• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not A Good Bulb!

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So I bought this Exo-Terra Sun Glo basking light bulb, and it only lasted a month! What gives?!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I had problems with them too. Try a regular household bulb.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
But I need a basking light bulb. Any recommendations? One that lasts? I was thinking one of those Zoo Med Halogen ones? (not exactly sure of the correct name of it)

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
if your after a bulb to just produce heat then a household spot bulb will work just fine, i have changed all my heat bulbs for ceramics, i have got constant temps they are great if its real cold at night and temps get a bit low set your stat to the right temps and they remain constant. They are perfect in the respect that they dont waist heat on producing light. then if you want better light in there all you need is a really low wattage bulb just to give you light
paul

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A household bulb will produce the light your dragon wants for basking and if the wattage is right, you'll reach the temps you need.

Do you use a UV light?

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
uv light is also needed reptisun 10.0 is the usual advised bulb to get you will also need a starter unit to switch the bulb on as for baskin a normal household spot bulb will work fine

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, bearded dragons require UV light. This is essential for them to produce the necessary enzymes needed to digest their foods. Here is a link to our basic caresheet. It describes all the elements needed to have a thriving bearded dragon.

Bearded Dragon Care

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
beardie_love said:
What I use is only that bulb

Oh my! Please get a UVB source, either the ReptiSun 10 tube or a mercury vapor bulb (which will do heat as well as the UVB). It is very, very dangerous not to have any UVB. It can make them very ill, and if they are without it long enough it can be fatal.

Latest posts