• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Noob questions

Solucki

Hatchling Dragon
Okay, after weeks of vigorous research, I have a few questions. I've read several care sheets including the one here and bought "the bearded dragon manual" by the herpetoculture library. Found some conflicting info like the recommendation of hot rocks in the book(big no no, I've heard already).
Let me start with what I'm planning so far. I have a 40 gallon(3'x1') heat lamp, basking tree, more to get.
What are important things to know, what not to do, etc.
On to the questions:
I'd like to get a baby, but I'm worried about the brumation period and early stage care.
I'd like to get playsand but will start off on paper towels.
Male or female?
Once s/he comfortable, how often can I take him out to play.
I know it's a lot so ill stop for now. I'm just concerned about raising a healthy and happy dragon.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay, after weeks of vigorous research, I have a few questions. I've read several care sheets including the one here and bought "the bearded dragon manual" by the herpetoculture library. Found some conflicting info like the recommendation of hot rocks in the book(big no no, I've heard already).
Let me start with what I'm planning so far. I have a 40 gallon(3'x1') heat lamp, basking tree, more to get. A 40 Gal Long is 48"Lx12"Dx17"H, a 40 Gal Breeder is 36"Lx18D"x17"H , so I am unsure what size you have but it is not a 40 Gal & would not be large enough for when your new BD becomes an adult for it's permanent home.
What are important things to know, what not to do, etc.
On to the questions:

I'd like to get a baby, but I'm worried about the brumation period and early stage care. If you intend on keeping a BD, while not all BDs will Brumate regularly, there is a very good chance that this will occur throughout it's adult life, so if it is an issue for you, BDs may not be the pet for you, because Brumation is a normal occurrence in their life cycle.

I'd like to get playsand but will start off on paper towels. Strained, Washed Children's Play Sand is fine for once the BD grows to 10+" long, nose to tip of tail, prior to this, you have the right idea, using paper towels or newspaper.

Male or female? There is not much difference in their care, other than with a female, you may have to go through the egg laying process throughout it's life once it is older, even if it has never been with a Male. Female BDs will at times periodically lay infertile eggs.

Once s/he comfortable, how often can I take him out to play. BD's are not animals that you can 'Play' with, they generally do tolerate handling quite well though. Daily handling for short periods of time is often the norm. We go to great lengths to provide the proper environment & setup for them, but does them absolutely no good if they are not in their enclosure for extended periods of time.

Solucki

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks for the info. I'm reading through the links. I didn't know what size tank was, a friend gave it to me. I'll plan on getting something bigger. I know a BD is nothing like a cat or dog, which is why I want one. When I get one, I don't want to neglect anything. I'm sure ill learn as I go but there seems to be so much to learn.

Latest posts