• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Non veggie eater

Stephanie is a Rockstar

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I don't know how much more appealing I can make Lola's salads... She still refuses to eat them. I thought maybe she hates collards so yesterday I switched to mustard greens, threw in come summer squash and carrots, and what does she do after I put it in her house?! Lays on top of it and looks at me like "If I can't see it I don't have to eat it." Then happily chowed on a random cricket.

She is 2 years old, you would think she would start eating veggies by now.

Any suggestions?

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Stephanie is a Rockstar said:
I don't know how much more appealing I can make Lola's salads... She still refuses to eat them. I thought maybe she hates collards so yesterday I switched to mustard greens, threw in come summer squash and carrots, and what does she do after I put it in her house?! Lays on top of it and looks at me like "If I can't see it I don't have to eat it." Then happily chowed on a random cricket.

She is 2 years old, you would think she would start eating veggies by now.

Any suggestions?

I don't remember the last time Frodo ate any greens. Honestly, I gave up trying to make it more enticing a long time ago....and I've tried just about every trick in the book. I don't know what else to do, either.....and he's 4 years old.

If you hear of any tricks, be sure to let me know what they are.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Some dragons just go on salad strike. Bernie did it quite a bit.

Honestly, I would still offer it daily. And offer it as their first food of the day. Butternut squash has had a lot of success with beardies.

You can also not feed bugs for a couple of days and only offer salad. See if any of this works.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Renee said:
Some dragons just go on salad strike. Bernie did it quite a bit.

Honestly, I would still offer it daily. And offer it as their first food of the day. Butternut squash has had a lot of success with beardies.

You can also not feed bugs for a couple of days and only offer salad. See if any of this works.

I often hear that I'm wasting money since they won't eat them anyway....but I still offer them everyday, freshly cut, regardless of whether I think they'll eat them or not.

I've been only offering bugs once a week with Sam, lately, and she still won't touch her greens. I figure she's just on the salad strike as you said....as she was eating them up until the last few weeks. With Frodo, it doesn't matter if I offer bugs or not. He won't even look at them anymore.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Methods I've used in the past:

-Make the salad very bright and colorful. This means some raspberries, squash, dandelion flowers and anything brightly colored, even if it means tossing in a few fruits.

-Make it smell enticing. My guys love the sweetness of fruits so I would take strawberries or melon juice and squeeze it over their greens and hand feed them a piece. The rest is history.

-Hand feed. Pretty self explanatory. Hand feed a couple pieces to make them get the taste for greens.

-Make it "move" pt 1. I know they have those vibrating dishes but I didn't feel like spending all that money on something like that so I improvised. Get a shallow dish or a jar lid, put some water in it and put a couple pieces of greens on it so it floats and moves. Agitate the water and they should go after it.

-Make it "move" pt 2. Put some phoenix worms or other small worms on the bottom of the bowl of greens. When the worms wiggle so will the greens and the dragon should bite. (You can put the worms on the top but mine figured out how to get JUST the worm and leave the greens)

-Offer it 1st thing in the morning. (someone already mentioned)

I know there is more methods that I have tried but this is all I can think of right now.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is to the point now that I cannot enjoy greens or fruits myself because when given the opportunity my dragons and iguana would run up on my lap, snatch the greens or fruit out of my hand midway to my mouth and run off with it. Hopefully you will have the same success.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I already offer first thing in the morning and have tried the hand-feed thing. He just closes his eyes or shakes his head to make me quit.

I do like some of those other suggestions, though. I'm going to give them a shot. Phoenix worms, huh? Might need to get some of those.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I personally love phoenix worms as a feeder. I used them as a semi staple for the babies from when I bred my dragons along with silkworms. They are constantly squirming and full of calcium.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Craiger said:
... He just closes his eyes or shakes his head to make me quit.

You got yourself a stubborn one! Love that independence. lol...

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardielover17 said:
I personally love phoenix worms as a feeder. I used them as a semi staple for the babies from when I bred my dragons along with silkworms. They are constantly squirming and full of calcium.

I'm going to pick up some butterworms while I'm at it. Have yet to ever try those, either.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Mine hated butterworms! Mine love anything that moves except them. They would spit them out. Good thing I got them all for free lol

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardielover17 said:
Mine hated butterworms! Mine love anything that moves except them. They would spit them out. Good thing I got them all for free lol

LOL! If that's the case, it won't be the first time I've wasted money on feeders.

Stephanie is a Rockstar

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Craiger said:
I already offer first thing in the morning and have tried the hand-feed thing. He just closes his eyes or shakes his head to make me quit.

Yup, Lola does this too... She purses her lips, closes her eyes and kicks me with her back feet.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Slyder closes his eyes and shakes his head too. Oscar just looks at the ceiling and everywhere other then what I am trying to feed.

Latest posts