• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Non-stop glass hopping

cygbeardie

Hatchling Dragon
Our beardie, Poppy, woke up from brumation a few weeks ago, since then she hasn’t been eating much, but behaves quite active and unsettling. The funny thing is she constantly hopping on the glass following her own reflection around making a big mess of the tank (her vegetables got kicked all over the place). She doesn’t show interest in eating except a few times when I offered her a couple of super worms. Dubia roaches used to be her favorite but she’s not eating them. When I take her out and put her on top of the sofa next to the window when the sun is out she can stay there for a long time without moving. All in all doesn’t look like a health issue because she’s super active, but it worries me that she is always hopping on the glass nonstop. The tank set up is good (thanks to Sadie). She’s almost 2 yo. When we first got her we were told it’s a girl but the Vet said it’s a boy (although we are so used to thinking of her as a girl). But If it’s indeed a he, could he be in heat based on the behavior? Should I be worried if she/he is not eating much? It’s been like this for weeks. I gave bath to keep her hydrated.

Attachments

• 06F3BEE9-8454-486E-8E8B-E126DFA9019D.jpeg
    06F3BEE9-8454-486E-8E8B-E126DFA9019D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • 3E8B8A76-1BCE-40D6-B102-9D8024B90BAF.jpeg
    3E8B8A76-1BCE-40D6-B102-9D8024B90BAF.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 25

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Our beardie, Poppy, woke up from brumation a few weeks ago, since then she hasn’t been eating much, but behaves quite active and unsettling. The funny thing is she constantly hopping on the glass following her own reflection around making a big mess of the tank (her vegetables got kicked all over the place). She doesn’t show interest in eating except a few times when I offered her a couple of super worms. Dubia roaches used to be her favorite but she’s not eating them. When I take her out and put her on top of the sofa next to the window when the sun is out she can stay there for a long time without moving. All in all doesn’t look like a health issue because she’s super active, but it worries me that she is always hopping on the glass nonstop. The tank set up is good (thanks to Sadie). She’s almost 2 yo. When we first got her we were told it’s a girl but the Vet said it’s a boy (although we are so used to thinking of her as a girl). But If it’s indeed a he, could he be in heat based on the behavior? Should I be worried if she/he is not eating much? It’s been like this for weeks. I gave bath to keep her hydrated.
Is he basking? It sounds like he has spring fever- common for coming out of brumation - appetite will slowly return - remember his stomach has shrunk from not eating-- keep him hydrated- and keep offering his food - I would let him out to run some energy off- 2 hrs see if that helps w/ the glass surfing- did you run the uvb during his brumation? The uvb may need to be changed-

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please post a pic of poppy w/ butt/ vent towards the camera tail in the air - have poppy on a table so I can get a good view of the vent

cygbeardie

Hatchling Dragon
Please post a pic of poppy w/ butt/ vent towards the camera tail in the air - have poppy on a table so I can get a good view of the vent
Sadie, please see pic attached. Are you trying to see if it’s a girl or boy?
Cynthia

Attachments

• E4BB4E72-6031-4F17-B439-D90D24B3FF83.jpeg
    E4BB4E72-6031-4F17-B439-D90D24B3FF83.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sadie, please see pic attached. Are you trying to see if it’s a girl or boy?
Cynthia
Yes and I need to see higher above the vent and he/ she needs to be flat on a table - tail in air please

cygbeardie

Hatchling Dragon
Yes and I need to see higher above the vent and he/ she needs to be flat on a table - tail in air please
Is this good?

Attachments

• B25CD04D-2C0A-4F9A-B7BB-DD1A660BF8FE.jpeg
    B25CD04D-2C0A-4F9A-B7BB-DD1A660BF8FE.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • EA32A8DA-7092-411D-B07E-601E1A2AD917.jpeg
    EA32A8DA-7092-411D-B07E-601E1A2AD917.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 539B06B7-DDD6-4E22-8F02-8480F6DA5C39.jpeg
    539B06B7-DDD6-4E22-8F02-8480F6DA5C39.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is this good?
Boy I am not sure -- let me have someone else look maybe they can tell better - they may have a better eye than me-Iam gonna say its a girl but let me check

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Boy I am not sure -- let me have someone else look maybe they can tell better - they may have a better eye than me-Iam gonna say its a girl but let me check
Ok my other source says male -- she sees two bumps
Definite male, 2 elongated bumps above the vent.

cygbeardie

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you Sadie. I’d appreciate it. The vet said it’s a boy though but I am clueless. If it’s a girl shouldn’t she already have a monthly thing going now (2 yo)?
Cynthia

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you Sadie. I’d appreciate it. The vet said it’s a boy though but I am clueless. If it’s a girl shouldn’t she already have a monthly thing going now (2 yo)?
Cynthia
No it is a boy read my post above -- I had someone else take a look as well -- your vet is right

cygbeardie

Hatchling Dragon
Ok my other source says male -- she sees two bumps
Definite male, 2 elongated bumps above the vent.
Ok, I see that as well. Does that explain the constant hopping on the glass and chasing her reflections? Spring heat?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, I see that as well. Does that explain the constant hopping on the glass and chasing her reflections? Spring heat?
I would get him out of the tank for 2 hrs let him roam but watch him so he doesn't get under something you can't get him out- place him on the back of your couch or chair in front of a window - they love to look outside or take him out - then see how he acts after putting him back in - what size tank is poppy in?

cygbeardie

Hatchling Dragon
I would get him out of the tank for 2 hrs let him roam but watch him so he doesn't get under something you can't get him out- place him on the back of your couch or chair in front of a window - they love to look outside or take him out - then see how he acts after putting him back in - what size tank is poppy in?
Ah you’re so right! Poppy loves to be put on top of the couch next to the window with the sun shining right on him. He stays there at least 2 hrs a day, very content not moving much. I put him back when he jumps off. But as soon as he’s in the tank he’s back to circling around going after his reflections, which usually stops around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Then just all silence not much movement. So far he’s only eating some greens but not showing much interest in bugs. The tank is about 75 gallon.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ah you’re so right! Poppy loves to be put on top of the couch next to the window with the sun shining right on him. He stays there at least 2 hrs a day, very content not moving much. I put him back when he jumps off. But as soon as he’s in the tank he’s back to circling around going after his reflections, which usually stops around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Then just all silence not much movement. So far he’s only eating some greens but not showing much interest in bugs. The tank is about 75 gallon.
Ok good size- the reflections please cover the outside where the reflection is w/ newspaper magazine pages construction paper- see if that helps