• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

night time in the viv

MHammett

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am a first time keeper, I understand you turn the heat lamps off at night to allow the beardie to sleep, but do I also turn off his heat mat?

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
What is a heat mat? I use a Halogen Bulb for my Beardies heat source. I don't use any heat source at night since the room my beardie is in does not get under 60 degrees.

Pat B

Super Moderator
I agree with Yuki'sMom....I have timers on my viv....12 hrs on and 12 hrs off. All lights off and UVB also. I would not recommend a heat mat. If your beardie needs heat at night because your room ambient temperature goes to low, use a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter, I think it is Emitter). It is heat only, no light.

ianedward1

Hatchling Dragon
Heat mats and CHE's should only be used if your nighttime room temps drop down into the low 60's or lower. Basically as long as your house is staying at an average temperature at night (70-ish), then you shouldn't have any need for a heat mat. All your daytime heat should be provided by the lamps.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Heat mats and heat rocks are dangerous for a beardie to use. They cannot feel heat on their bellies thus making their bellies get burned. It's not recommended to use them because they don't need them. They get their heat from their heat lamps and basking logs. So, don't use the heat mat anymore. A CHE should only be used if the temperature in your house falls below 65.

Latest posts