• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

night temp

Dragondave

Hatchling Dragon
Hi guys, I have had lots of reptiles over the years but 1 I have never had is a beardie.i have had 1 now for a couple of days. I bought him from the preloved website.i believe he is around 18 months old. I have a few questions but the main 1 is this; I am running a 100w red heat lamp which keeps his basking spit at a steady 34- 35 degrees c. I am wondering if I should turn the lamp off at night as it can get quite cold in the uk at night. Some people I have spoken too say no leave it on and others think its best to turn it off. What do you guys suggest.sorry if this question has been asked before on a previous thread.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi welcome. If your overnight temps get to 19 to 20 C you will be wanting to use a heat lamp. These don't put out any light they just put out heat. You also wanna trade out the heat lamp that you've got for the basking spot and use a UVA UVB bulb. There is lots of info on the site and lots of folks willing to help. This will get you started. So much to learn! Enjoy the journey

Dragondave

Hatchling Dragon
Not really sure what temp it gets to at night.i turned his heat off last night to give me some kind of indication, the temp in his viv this morning was 18.5 degrees c. So its 34c in the day and around that at night,is this ok

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I would take that red bulb out and replace it with a basking/halogen light.the brighter the better. And for nighttime heat you need a ceramic heat emitter. Just puts off heat with no light. Beardies dont need/want a light at night. I know i dont like to sleep with a light on.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Not really sure what temp it gets to at night.i turned his heat off last night to give me some kind of indication, the temp in his viv this morning was 18.5 degrees c. So its 34c in the day and around that at night,is this ok
U want bit to b more around 40c under the basking light through the day id defo swap the light for a around 40-50 watt halogen buld. They dnt cost much. U also need a cooler side of the tank so ur beardie can cool itsself dwn if it gets too hot :) it is quite hard to get ur temps rite so dnt worry bout it. U want the cooler side to sit around 30c and tbh my nite temps dnt ever drop below that. Is they do u can get a heat emitter its a bulb that generates heat and no light.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Im also from the uk and tbh my nite temps r fine a the min. I had to put the heating on a few times in the night through the.winter but not for a whioe now. :)

Dragondave

Hatchling Dragon
Im using a hygrometer. I have put it on his basking log earlier and it reads 41.5 degrees. The air around this area is 37ish degrees and the cool side is now at 28 degrees.

Dragondave

Hatchling Dragon
I have gone out today and got a halogen white basking bulb,are these better than the red infrared ones

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
41.5 is fine n the cool side fine aswel:) the beardie will b a little warmer than the temp coz they get slightly closer :)

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I have gone out today and got a halogen white basking bulb,are these better than the red infrared ones

Yes, for a basking light, the halogen flood lights are much better. These are animals that love the bright daylight, so we try to provide nice bright light for them in the enclosures too. The halogen will also produce some UVA, as well as the visible spectrum, which is important.

Latest posts