• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Night light

LeslieA

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi,
I know I haven't posted in a week or two I was trying to be patient and let spike settle in. He's doing great by the way. Still not eating the amount I think he should but it's definitely better. As a matter of fact this morning he was running back and forth in his Viv as I was running around to get the kids out the door. He is never awake this early. haha. So as soon as they left I gave him some crickets and he jumped down from his log and chased them it was great. I wish my daughter had been here she would have gotten a kick out of this as he has never done this before. I usually have to take him from his log and remove the log. So this was a great accomplishment. AND he ate some greens from my hand. woot!!!

So back to my question :) I had read another thread that said if your room temp does not go below 65 that you do not need a night heat lamp. Well the room that he's in is usually about 70 or a little higher. We usually try to keep it at a steady temp. So does this mean that I do not need the red heat lamp? Because the one the store sent us home with just broke and I was going to pick another one up this weekend at the pet expo as I need more crickets. And what brand heat/basking lamps do you recommend as I want to get another so that I have an extra on hand just in case. Thanks so much for the great info!!

Leslie

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No you don't need an over night heating source if your home doesn't drop below 65, Leslie.
Also any colored lights do affect dragons.. colored lights can actually hurt a dragons eyes...
So on that note, a Ceramic Heating Element is wonderful as a supplemental heat.
Janie

LeslieA

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks so much Janie. So what brand and wattage would I get? And is there any particular brand type of basking lamp? Or is this one and the same. Currently we have a single basking lamp 150watts. Now that the red one is broken. Should I have another lamp on the cool side of the viv? That temp is about 90. Right now he does not have much stuff in his viv he basically just has his log a small water dish that he likes to run through (it's funny) and a small salad bowl. I had other things in there like plants and other logs but I was finding that the crickets aimed for these items to hide in. So now that he seems to be feeling at home would it be ok to put some of his "stuff" back in? And should I replace his basking log with a rock? Sorry so many questions it's just that I'm going to that pet expo this weekend and I think I can get some of this stuff a few bucks cheaper there. Thanks again for the help.

LeslieA

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks so much Sandy, I appreciate it.

I'll take a picture later this afternoon when my daughter gives him his bath. I think I'll measure him too I'm curious to see how long he is now. As I think he should be about 9 inches. I need to look for my previous post where I asked you guys to estimate an age. hmmm. :)

Thanks again all!

Latest posts