• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie with two hot girls =P

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey, I'm zak and decided I should get onto some forums. I have two female beardies, Lyra and Leela. They are..ehh, maybe 8 months old? Lol, I can't remember exactly, I have a few pictures of them and their enclosure. They are voracious eaters, it took me up until a few months ago to get them to eat their greens, but they seem to love turnip greens. Ever since day one Leela has acted dominant over Lyra, which as of late has made me question wether or not if shes a she at all. Her beard gets quite black, she bobs her head up and down AGGRESSIVELY, and occassionaly will jump down from her perch, get onto Lyras back and bite the back of her neck. It's been happening about once a day recently, it stopped being a problem for a long time up until recently though, they just left each other alone. Here's some pictures! that is...if I can figure out how to load them.

IMG00016-20100413-2232.jpg

IMG00014-20100413-2230.jpg

IMG00015-20100413-2231.jpg

Leela is on her high perch as usual. Lyra is about ready for bed, their light goes out pretty soon.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
welcome to the mad house. You will find everyone here fun and helpful and here to help each other have happy healthy beardies. They are beautiful and I like how you set up the viv.
Have a couple of tips/info/questions for you.
Females will dominate each other. It is best to separate them, it can get bad and one could get very hurt.
The prob that you have is a good way to take a temp but it should be touching the basking area as air temps can vary drastically.
there should be a cool side for them to get a break from the heat.
Do you turn off all lights at night, red too?
What size tank are they in?

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome aboard!

Oh...and Leela sounds very much like a male to me. Biting the back of the neck while mounting is a sexually submissive act my males. As Sandra said, females can get aggressive toward one another, but I'm not sure I've heard of THAT type of aggressiveness among them. Got any pics of Leela's underside? You've got me curious.

Hopefully, you've posted some pics of them by now seeing how you've got 2 posts. I believe that's in the registration....along with the sample of your DNA that's supposed to be in the mail already. ;D

J/K.... 8)

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
all lights are turned off at night, I got the red one because up here (NNY) it can get a little too cold in the winter, under 65 degrees in the house, so I had that as a precaution. Usually during the day I turn off the red light, so they just have the one basking spot. That temp gauge is just hanging there, when I'm taking the temp I put it more or less where Leela is perching, at the hottest point. As for the tank size...ehh, I bought it from a friend shortly after purchasing the girls. I want to say its 55 gallons but I dont really know for sure. Its measurements are: 48"L x 12.5"W x 21"H

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Gimme a sec, I'll get a pic of Leelas underside for ya. It kind of looks like theres the bump at the vent indicating its a female, but I'm a newb lol. One sec..

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Doh! You DID post pics. They didn't show up when I first opened the thread. Must've totally missed them. Good looking beardies.

And, yeah, that's a 55g.

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
here we go..harder to get her to hold still with one hand and take a picture with the other than I thought lol, this is two pics of leelas underside, not sure if they are clear enough to tell unfortunately.

IMG00011-20100413-2336.jpg

IMG00012-20100413-2336.jpg

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmm...yeah. Based on that first pic, I'd have to agree with you.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ah I was born in NY, grew up in NC and lived there in NY from July 2008-April 2009 and said F this cold and snow and moved to Florida. I understand the light now.

Oh yes that looks boy to me too, best to separate or there will be breeding.

Craiger said:
As Sandra said, females can get aggressive toward one another, but I'm not sure I've heard of THAT type of aggressiveness among them. Got any pics of Leela's underside? You've got me curious.

Hopefully, you've posted some pics of them by now seeing how you've got 2 posts. I believe that's in the registration....along with the sample of your DNA that's supposed to be in the mail already. ;D

J/K.... 8)

I don't remember where I read it, think it was here but it could have been somewhere else that a female was doing that to another female.

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
wait, lol, one guy said he agreed with me that leela looks like a girl, and another says boy >< hah, not sure. Should I get a clearer picture of her backside? I read that if they aren't old enough it isn't as easy to tell, but they should be plenty old enough right?

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
don't listen to me...i did not mean boy...it looks girl...one bump girl 2 bumps boy. there is only one there

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
staylor said:
I don't remember where I read it, think it was here but it could have been somewhere else that a female was doing that to another female.

Hmm....interesting. Not saying it doesn't happen...just haven't heard of it. Learned something again today. Thanks Sandra.

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
gotcha, thats what I thought lol. I had a theory that Leela only got irate when she didnt get enough to eat, like they were competing, but I'm not sure now. For the most part they seem to get along fine, but once in awhile Leela gets aggressive. It definitely never happens when I'm letting them run around the room, they always just go their own ways.

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hi and welcome to the loony bin, a pair of great looking beardies you got there.
i agree those pics look like a female to me if was male would have 2 protruding bumps either side of the vent and will have large pores on inner rear legs, a feamale would have 1 bump or none ath the rear of the vent

paul

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Looks as if Craig and Sandra have you handled, so I'll just Welcome you !
Welcome !
Oh.. Appears to be female.
Janie

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
thanks for the link renee, definitely some good information. my girls are sisters and have been together since birth so I'm hoping I can let then stay together. If it gets any worse I guess I'll have to give in and separate them but for now they are gonna have to work out their differences :D

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
man, just looking through these forums has changed my mind on quite a few things.... I always liked the idea of sand, not only aesthetically pleasing, but just seems more natural for the beardies, but I'm beginning to think I should upgrade to some slate or tile.. And roaches are really sounding like the way to go over crix! hmmm...plenty of new stuff to consider

Latest posts