• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie with many questions

Supcan

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello All,

I hope to be getting my bearded dragon, an adult female (Layla) who is roughly 19 inches long, on Sunday and I’m trying to be as ready as I can. I am being given what I need to get started; tank (not sure of size yet), uvb, heating light, etc. I have several questions…

1. I put a thermometer in the room where she will be staying, when I checked it about 8 last night it was already at 60 degrees. I don’t think it gets much colder than that in there, but I want to be prepared. I know a couple options are a lightless heating bulb or a heating mat. Which is recommended? For the bulb would I need a separate lamp? I assume the mat goes under the substrate (I’m using non adhesive shelf liner to start). Does the mat need to go the whole length of the tank?

2. I have read the nutritional charts and know what to feed her, but how many times a day are adults fed? How much vegetation should I give her per feeding? For live food, does the 15 minute rule still apply?

3. I bought a large flat container that I will use for baths, is tap water ok or should I use spring water? Same for water put on food/spray.

4. Layla’s room is also my office, sometimes I’m in there fairly late (will be after her light’s out time), will the light from the monitor disturb her sleeping? Can a blanket be put over the tank to block out the light?

I’m sure I will have many more questions in the coming days. If any of these have already been answered, just point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

-Sup

Jon Macintosh

Juvenile Dragon
Supcan,
congratulations on almost having your bearded dragon! It's a journey, but most definitely a fun and worthwhile one!
I will do my best to answer your questions - please feel free to ask more afterwards.
1. I put a thermometer in the room where she will be staying, when I checked it about 8 last night it was already at 60 degrees. I don’t think it gets much colder than that in there, but I want to be prepared. I know a couple options are a lightless heating bulb or a heating mat. Which is recommended? For the bulb would I need a separate lamp? I assume the mat goes under the substrate (I’m using non adhesive shelf liner to start). Does the mat need to go the whole length of the tank?

60°F is the bare minimum for a room temperature to be.
That being said, thermometers may not always be accurate and I've always strived for 65-70°F as a minimum for my night time temperatures. You may consider upping the heat in your house ever so slightly to accomplish this. If that is not an option and you are wanting to get heating for the night then keep in mind that you should never use a heating mat/pad, so the only option for nighttime heating (that I'm aware of/would be comfortable using is a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE). These produce no light, but only heat. (Keep in mind that you don't want your nighttime temperatures to be anywhere near your daytime ones - a bearded dragon needs the temperatural difference to assist in regulating body processes.)

They make lamps that house two bulbs on a hard switch - that can be alternated manually, but the best option would be to purchase a timer for your lights that keeps your dragon on a 12 hour on 12 hour off schedule (that is the method most in this forum have taken up).

To further explain why a heating pad shouldn't be used, I'll paste the explanation I gave in an earlier forum:
For a clearer understanding, Bearded Dragons cannot "sense" heat through their underside.
They sense heat (and light) through a scale on the top of their head (known as a "third" or parietal eye).

The reason why heat rocks are not recommended is because bearded dragon's undersides are much more senstive than their scaly parts - meaning it is very easy for them to become burnt without realizing it.

2. I have read the nutritional charts and know what to feed her, but how many times a day are adults fed? How much vegetation should I give her per feeding? For live food, does the 15 minute rule still apply?
Fresh greens should be supplied 1-2 times per day.
Live prey should be supplied every 2-3 days. (As far as I know - the 15 minute rule still applies and in time you'll be able to determine roughly how much your dragon will eat.)
The every 2-3 day rule can be variable as well (but I wouldn't go past three) - just find what works best for your particular dragon and don't leave live prey in the enclosure at night!
3. I bought a large flat container that I will use for baths, is tap water ok or should I use spring water? Same for water put on food/spray.

Water is a wildly debated subject when it comes to bearded dragons - unless your water is known to have high contents of dangerous substances (lead for instance) then tap water is said to be okay. Spring water on the other hand is debated in the topic of tap water vs. spring water for humans. It's hard to identify whether or not spring water has been treated or not. If it was me, I would stick with tap water (like I do).

You mention spray as well. Bearded dragons get their hydration from their live prey/greens and the occasional soak - misting is also debatable and I wouldn't recommened misting the enclosure as it could raise humidity levels too high.

4. Layla’s room is also my office, sometimes I’m in there fairly late (will be after her light’s out time), will the light from the monitor disturb her sleeping? Can a blanket be put over the tank to block out the light?

The light could very well disturb her - having only the monitor wouldn't affect her too much (in my opinion) if the monitor was facing away from her enclosure. So you have two options, make sure that direct light isn't hitting her enclosure (monitors' brightness can be scaled down quite a bit) or you can drape something around the enclosure (possibly prefered), but ENSURE that you don't cover any ventilation and that (if your lights are on a timer) that whatever you use isn't flammable in the event they are too close to your heat lighting.

Also, use headphones whenever her "night time" begins. One thing that Merlin dislikes more than most things is noise whenever he's slumbering...

Best of luck! Feel free to ask more questions!

-Jon Macintosh

Jon Macintosh

Juvenile Dragon
I am also going to include Germ's beginning information that helped me (and countless others) get off to a good start. Please take the time to read over each and every one to ensure Layla is going to be very happy with you!
Basic Bearded Dragon Care Guide - A Place To Start
UVB Setup
Temp Guns
Bearded Dragon - Exclusive Care Info Library
Is Bearded Dragon Cohabitation A Good Plan?
What's Good & Not So Good To Feed - Beautiful Dragon's Nutrition Guide
(Credit for links: Germ, Veteran Pooper Scooper)

Supcan

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the answers to my questions.
I am getting more and more anxious/excited as I get to the "big" day.
I have read through the articles provided, very helpful. I try not to ask questions that have been asked before,
I did see that post but had thought it was directed more at the rocks than pads/mats.
I see where the same thing could happen with either.

I can try turning up the heat, but the problem is the room is over the garage and it gets cool. I will check out the CHE.

Unfortunately the monitor is directly facing where the tank will be, I am thinking of setting up a curtain that I can move about as needed.

Thanks again, your help is very much appreciated.

-Sup

Jon Macintosh

Juvenile Dragon
It's more than my pleasure!

Best of luck with everything and don't be afraid to ask questions, I'd rather see them asked than not!

Supcan

Bearded Dragon Egg
I received Layla on Sunday. I also received a 75 Gallon tank, it looks to be about 48X18X20 deep.
I'm having a hard time getting the basking spot and cooling area up to temperature.
I currently have the main heat line on as well as my night heat light and it's still around 85, cool area in mid 70s.
Basking spot is 7-8 inches below light.

I have read that I can use a floodlight, and this should boost temps. I guess I would just use the floodlight bulb with the dome light?

I am thinking of using the flood light over the basking side and the current bulb over the cool side.

On a plus note, the tank was around 70 over night.

-Sup

Jon Macintosh

Juvenile Dragon
It sounds as though a floodlight is going to be the best option for you. I currently use a 75w Phillips Floodlight (purchased as Home Depot), but I remember the journey of getting temperatures to the proper degrees!

You stated that you're using a night heat light - Did you have to use this to achieve the 70° in the night?
I only ask because any type of lighting can disprupt a dragon's sleep - which is why the best heating option for night (if you fall below 65°) is typically a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) attached to a thermometer. (Stated above)

Also, along with your current lighting setup, are you also utilizing a UVB?

Loving the size of your tank, it's the size I wanted to originally have.
Out of curiosity, is it only a top open tank with removable screen or does it have front opening doors?

Supcan

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sorry, I said the wrong thing, I am using a CHE, not a heating "light".

I am using a UVB also, which I have set up according to the instructions in Germs links.

The tank is a top open tank with a screen.

-Sup

Latest posts