• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie with a few question.

LaydeeAly

Bearded Dragon Egg
My beardie was born in September 2011 so he's 5 months old. He's done very well, eats well, growing like crazy, very active, etc. But lately he will only eat crickets, he will seriously boycott until he gets crickets (he wont touch any other live pray at all). How often should I be feeding crickets? How much should he eat on a daily basis? How can I encourage him to eat his veggies?

Thanks

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Generally, at that age it should be fed all it will eat in a 10-15 minute period, twice a day. I always limited mine to 30-35 appropriate sized crix a day, if it wanted that many.

Some BDs take a long time before they take to their greens, but they still should be provided Daily, so they are there when they choose to try them out. Some keepers have had luck with mixing worms in with the greens, many times when they go for the worms they will inadvertently grab some greens & acquire the taste for them. Failing that, be sure to regularly mist your BD & give it a soak in warm water up to it's armpits when standing weekly, in order to keep it's hydration up & aid in shedding.

Good Luck,

LaydeeAly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks so much for the info. I have been feeding him like you mentioned and such. The issue is he used to love his greens and eat them like crazy, now he won't touch anything but crickets.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have couple BDs that were like that & it's not uncommon for a BD to go off it's veggies for a week or 2. But like I said, I had a couple that were more spoiled it seemed at the time. I treated them like a young child. 'If you don't eat your veggies, you don't get dessert', Crix being the dessert. I'd feed their salad first thing in the morning, a mixture of Collard, Mustard & Dandelion Greens, misted & replenished it as needed, to keep it 'fresh', in low sided dishes so they could easily see them without climbing & only fed 3-5 crix a day. They soon started eating them again & were rewarded with their renewed regular supply of ample 'Dessert'. Worked for me.

Latest posts