• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie here

hecsana

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello everyone! My husband and I just purchased our new beardie a couple of days ago. Maybe you can answer a few questions for me...

1. how often do you take yours out to socialize?
2. how often do you feed veggies vs. protein?
3. how long do you set daytime lighting?

We've done some reading, but would like to see how those of you who have owned a beardie for some time have done over the years.
Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
1. how often do you take yours out to socialize?
I work with my adults as often as I can but I handle all of my babies daily to get them acclimated to being handled.

2. how often do you feed veggies vs. protein?
For babies/juveniles fresh salad offered daily and live feeders offered 2-3 times daily (and I often leave a bowl of some non-climbing insect for a during the day treat)

3. how long do you set daytime lighting?
14 hours on 10 hours off is my lighting schedule

If you don't mind I have a few questions for you
So how old is your baby? What size tank do you have your baby in? What type of lighting are you using (ie brand and type of uv bulb)? Whats your basking temps at and how are you measureing them? Whered you get your new family member from? what type of live feeder do you plan to offer?

Oh and we will all want to see pics of the baby ;D

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Once relocation stress has past (around 2 weeks to 2 months depending on the animal) you can slooowly reach in towards either his/her side, or head, Not from above (predator action), until you can gently rub the head..
Once you have his/her trust, an hour at a time growing to as long as you desire, and the dragon is cooperative, is fine.. Just make sure there is at least 2 hours of basking after each meal..

Your second question, needs more information.. young dragons under a year in age, need more protein than veggies.. Older ones, on the other hand, desire less protein. For younger dragons, you can use the veggies to gutload the insects to help balance out the nutrients veggies provide.

Day time lighting of combined uvb and heat would be at least 12 hours, 14 is the most I personally have ever done.

Hope this helps.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum. To answer you questions....

1. how often do you take yours out to socialize? The first couple of days to a week you should let him be. They need to acclimate to their new surroundings. Even if you try to hold him (especially a baby) chances are you won't be able to. Once this period is over, then you can hold them as much as you want as long as they get plenty of basking time.

2. how often do you feed veggies vs. protein? For a baby 80% protein 20% greens. This breaks down to feeding your beardie 2-3x a day as many as he can eat in 10 minutes. Once he is acclimated this can be anywhere from 30 a day to 100, just depends on the beardie. Greens should be offered every day all day. For an adult (year and a half) the ratio flips.

3. how long do you set daytime lighting? Summer 14 hours on 10 off. Winter 12 and 12.

Here is a link to our caresheet.
http://www.mybeardie.com/general_information.php

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi and welcome.

Well everyone has just about covered everything else so Ill just add also we would love some pics of the new baby

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome. Everyone has you covered and we would love to see pictures. Also what kind of substrate are you using, Sand, paper towel, reptile carpet?

Latest posts