• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie hear would love some tips on what I have planned

Bbuck30

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi there all I'm new hear and this is my first post very sorry if I annoy anybody or ask questions that have been asked. I've kept fish for the last 15 years and always wanted to keep a reptile of sorts but always been a bit nervous about taking the first steps. My son has just turned 8 and has a big interest in all animals but reptiles specifically so I've decided to sell all my fish and where going to set my 5 ft tank up for a bearded dragon as I thought this would be a good reptile to start us both off I'm well in to doing my research and learning all about the animal that I'll be taking in to my care. I've done loads of reading on line and pretty much decided on the bits I'm going to buy to Setup but have a few questions I can't get deffinate answers on from Google if you kind folks wouldn't mind indulging me[emoji4]

I'm going to line the back and sides with the exo terra 3d rock face for look and insulation. Im going to use slate tiles for the floor. I have some large smooth chunks of bogwood I was going to use to climb on and a basking area warm and cool.

I plan on having a heat lamp at both ends of the tank and running red night time heat lamps all running from a habistat day and night dimmer and then a 52 inch 10.0 uvb bulb.

Now for the questions

Will I need more than one night time heat lamp I know the temp can drop on a night but not certain if I need two or just one above where his hide will go?

Also will 2 100w heat lamps be enough for the temps I need or would I be better with 2 150w or a 150w at the hot end and a 100w at the cool end (same question on the red night lights as well)

And would I be ok to put a baby bearded dragon in that size a tank or would it cause stress it having so much space. Would I be better getting a larger beardie

I've read all sorts of contradicting things on line and am not sure what to do for the best I just want this journey to go as smoothly as possible from the get go

Sorry for the wall of text [emoji1] and thanks in advance for any advice/help that's offered it's all hugely appreciated

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Nighttime heat: You'll want to go with a Vera mic heat lamp if you want to provide nighttime heat. They produce heat with zero light output. A red light would disturb your beardies sleep cycle. As long as your temps don't fall below 65, you don't really need additional heat at night.

Day heat: it's hard to say if you'll need a 100w or a 150w. The wattage depends on the temp of the basking site. If you get a juvenile, you want a basking temp of ~105F. Adults need a basking spot of ~100F. The ambient temperature and air flow in the room also affects the wattage you'll need. Odds are, in a tank that large, you'll need a 150w, but you'll want to use an infrared temp gun to make sure your temps are where they need to be.

Light placement: in a 5 foot enclosure with a screen top, I'd put the basking area at one end with your highest wattage bulb, and another 100w-150w in the middle. You want the hot side in the mid 90s, and the cool side around the mid 80s. You may have to play around with different wattage until you get everything dialed in. Putting heat lamps on each end wouldn't make for a good gradient.

Juvie vs adult: that enclosure is quite large for a small baby/juvenile, and could potentially stress them out. A subadult or adult beardie would be better suited for an enclosure that large. There are also many adult beardies out there that need a good, loving home. Adults also require insects less frequently than babies, which makes feeding them much more manageable.

What type of UVB light do you intend to go with?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Joe Giddz

Hatchling Dragon
I agree with everything Eavalyn has said as she has helped me alot with great info. But i will say about the viv being too big to not worry about as my little one was in a 4ft viv and he would climb on his cactus and stay there alot but i think that was just relocation stress as he did this for about a week and then settled in and now loves it and runs around and climbs around like a lunatic haha. I really do believe it is abit of a myth about a big viv for a little one. But thats just my opinion. Good luck im sure you will get it all sorted after abit of trial and error as i went from tropical fish to a bearded dragon and eventually got it all sorted after alot of question asking on here amd reading and research.

Good luck! Show some pics when its all sorted!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bbuck30

Bearded Dragon Egg
Nighttime heat: You'll want to go with a Vera mic heat lamp if you want to provide nighttime heat. They produce heat with zero light output. A red light would disturb your beardies sleep cycle. As long as your temps don't fall below 65, you don't really need additional heat at night.

Day heat: it's hard to say if you'll need a 100w or a 150w. The wattage depends on the temp of the basking site. If you get a juvenile, you want a basking temp of ~105F. Adults need a basking spot of ~100F. The ambient temperature and air flow in the room also affects the wattage you'll need. Odds are, in a tank that large, you'll need a 150w, but you'll want to use an infrared temp gun to make sure your temps are where they need to be.

Light placement: in a 5 foot enclosure with a screen top, I'd put the basking area at one end with your highest wattage bulb, and another 100w-150w in the middle. You want the hot side in the mid 90s, and the cool side around the mid 80s. You may have to play around with different wattage until you get everything dialed in. Putting heat lamps on each end wouldn't make for a good gradient.

Juvie vs adult: that enclosure is quite large for a small baby/juvenile, and could potentially stress them out. A subadult or adult beardie would be better suited for an enclosure that large. There are also many adult beardies out there that need a good, loving home. Adults also require insects less frequently than babies, which makes feeding them much more manageable.

What type of UVB light do you intend to go with?

Thank you for your reply and all the helpful info.

I plan to use a 10.0 exo terra reptlisun uvb strip bulb hoping I can get a 52 inch long at least if not it will be the 40w 42 inch would that bulb be ok and regarding the ceramic bulb am I right in thinking I would need a separate thermostat.as I think the night/day dimmer habistat is only for use with incandescent bulbs (I could be wrong tho my missus reminds me regularly [emoji1]). Think I would need some sort of night heat tho as it gets as low as 17/18 degrees on a night if the ceramic bulb can't be used with the habistat mentioned is there any other bulbs that would be suitable for night time heat

Thinking of going with a sub adult if i can get one altho my son seems to like the idea of taking in an adult I'm happy either way

Thanks aging for all you help

Bbuck30

Bearded Dragon Egg
I agree with everything Eavalyn has said as she has helped me alot with great info. But i will say about the viv being too big to not worry about as my little one was in a 4ft viv and he would climb on his cactus and stay there alot but i think that was just relocation stress as he did this for about a week and then settled in and now loves it and runs around and climbs around like a lunatic haha. I really do believe it is abit of a myth about a big viv for a little one. But thats just my opinion. Good luck im sure you will get it all sorted after abit of trial and error as i went from tropical fish to a bearded dragon and eventually got it all sorted after alot of question asking on here amd reading and research.

Good luck! Show some pics when its all sorted!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Hi there thank you for your reply it seams some people get away with it and others don't I guess it's down to the individual beardie maybe.. I think because my sons involved I'll avoid the risk and just go for a larger specimen.... Thank you for your input tho it's nice to hear all sides and I will share pics can't wait to get it all set up

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you for your reply and all the helpful info.

I plan to use a 10.0 exo terra reptlisun uvb strip bulb hoping I can get a 52 inch long at least if not it will be the 40w 42 inch would that bulb be ok and regarding the ceramic bulb am I right in thinking I would need a separate thermostat.as I think the night/day dimmer habistat is only for use with incandescent bulbs (I could be wrong tho my missus reminds me regularly [emoji1]). Think I would need some sort of night heat tho as it gets as low as 17/18 degrees on a night if the ceramic bulb can't be used with the habistat mentioned is there any other bulbs that would be suitable for night time heat

Thinking of going with a sub adult if i can get one altho my son seems to like the idea of taking in an adult I'm happy either way

Thanks aging for all you help

I meant to say ceramic heat lamp for nighttime. Autocorrect has struck again. I use Jumpstart thermostats for my ceramic heat emitters and have never had a problem, they simply turn on and off depending on the temperature. I don't have any dimmers temperature regulation.

The 42 inch UVB should work just fine, you don't have to cover the entire length of the enclosure, although it's alright if you do. As long as some cover is provided for your beardie to get away from the light, that should work just fine.

I think taking in an adult beardie is a great idea. You may even be able to find a subadult. Many people get adorable babies from the pet stores on a whim, then lose interest and post them up for sale in places like craigslist. You do have to be cautious in these cases. Because you don't know the type of care the animal received, or if they have an illness. A vet check up is always a good idea with any animal, to ensure they are healthy and parasite free.

Bbuck30

Bearded Dragon Egg
I meant to say ceramic heat lamp for nighttime. Autocorrect has struck again. I use Jumpstart thermostats for my ceramic heat emitters and have never had a problem, they simply turn on and off depending on the temperature. I don't have any dimmers temperature regulation.

The 42 inch UVB should work just fine, you don't have to cover the entire length of the enclosure, although it's alright if you do. As long as some cover is provided for your beardie to get away from the light, that should work just fine.

I think taking in an adult beardie is a great idea. You may even be able to find a subadult. Many people get adorable babies from the pet stores on a whim, then lose interest and post them up for sale in places like craigslist. You do have to be cautious in these cases. Because you don't know the type of care the animal received, or if they have an illness. A vet check up is always a good idea with any animal, to ensure they are healthy and parasite free.

Yeah I figured you did when I put the name of the bulb in Google it corrected it thought it was messing me around at first[emoji1]

The reason for the dimmer is because the tank is in my living room and I thought it going on and off would be annoying lol plus I read that the light going on and off all the time would stress the beardie. Going to go with a ceramic bulb just going to run it on a separate thermostat.

Ide be getting a vet check up regardless of where I bought it from I think just to make sure all is safe and the dragon is healthy ide be gutted if some thing went wrong like that and think my little lad would be as well

Bbuck30

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please read this article on reptile lighting. Red or any colored lights used night or day are very bad for bearded dragons. During the day it doesn't allow their pupils to constrict properly and at night they cast a shadow over their 3rd eye and makes them think they are being hunted.
http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/threads/great-new-article-on-reptile-lighting.15482/
Hi there thanks for that after what everlyn said I did actually read that article going with a ceramic heat bulb now instead..

Ide initially read that they couldn't see red light and thought that would be a good way to still view the dragon on a night but since learnt otherwise but thank you for your input it's all appreciated

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi there thanks for that after what everlyn said I did actually read that article going with a ceramic heat bulb now instead..

Ide initially read that they couldn't see red light and thought that would be a good way to still view the dragon on a night but since learnt otherwise but thank you for your input it's all appreciated

I read the same thing you did when I received my first rescue dragon, and had a red light for a few days in the beginning. I did more research, asked questions, and learned how untrustworthy a lot of online info can be.

What I do: I have a basking light and a UVB tube in every enclosure. The basking light for my baby and juvenile jeeps the basking spot at ~105F. For my adults, I keep it at ~100F. This keeps a nice temperature gradient in the enclosures during the day, and a thermostat isnt required. I adjust my basking temps with the bulb wattage, and the distance of the basking spot from the heat source. Their lights are attached to timers so I can keep them on a proper schedule without relying on myself to be around when the lights need turned on and off. I don't use nighttime heat as the rooms stay warm, above 75F at all times, but I have used ceramic bulbs with many of my nocturnal species. A CHE on a regular on/off thermostat works great.

Bbuck30

Bearded Dragon Egg
I read the same thing you did when I received my first rescue dragon, and had a red light for a few days in the beginning. I did more research, asked questions, and learned how untrustworthy a lot of online info can be.

What I do: I have a basking light and a UVB tube in every enclosure. The basking light for my baby and juvenile jeeps the basking spot at ~105F. For my adults, I keep it at ~100F. This keeps a nice temperature gradient in the enclosures during the day, and a thermostat isnt required. I adjust my basking temps with the bulb wattage, and the distance of the basking spot from the heat source. Their lights are attached to timers so I can keep them on a proper schedule without relying on myself to be around when the lights need turned on and off. I don't use nighttime heat as the rooms stay warm, above 75F at all times, but I have used ceramic bulbs with many of my nocturnal species. A CHE on a regular on/off thermostat works great.

Thanks for that after reading your post I kind of feel I'm over complicating things a bit and getting my self all panicked so I'm thinking to keep costs down a bit.

42inch uvb strip bulb then
If I have a 150w as my main basking light on the far left then a 100w a foot or so to the right away from the other one and set a touch higher in the tank and have all ventilation in the lid on the right hand side it should create the gradient down the tank. And I can adjust basking temps by raising or lowering the bulbs in the tank.

Is that about right because if so in my head I made the lighting a hell of a lot more complicated than it needs to be

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sounds like a solid plan to me! And if the ambient temps aren't getting up to where you want them, you can cover part of the screen top to keep the heat from rising out. No over complication necessary :) I do recommend an infrared temp gun to monitor the basking temp, and some small temp guage for the hot and cool side so you can keep an eye on the ambient air temps. With the guage and the plans you have for your set up, you should be golden.

Bbuck30

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sounds like a solid plan to me! And if the ambient temps aren't getting up to where you want them, you can cover part of the screen top to keep the heat from rising out. No over complication necessary :) I do recommend an infrared temp gun to monitor the basking temp, and some small temp guage for the hot and cool side so you can keep an eye on the ambient air temps. With the guage and the plans you have for your set up, you should be golden.

Thank you so much for that I'd got my self reall worked up and nervous lol I feel a lot better about it all now.

Was planning on an ir thermometer any ways and a couple of digital ones with the probes for inside.

Will I be ok with one ceramic bulb for the night time heat or would 2 be better I thought a single 150w in the middle might be ok but now wondering if I should have 2 100w one either end if that makes sense

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
One ceramic bulb should be alright. I'd place it on the screen close to where your dragon decides to pass out for the night. Maybe not directly over them, as those bulbs can crank out some good heat, but close by. How tall is the tank? A 100 watt would probably be okay for 16 to 18 inches of height. If it's taller, I'd get a 150 watt. If the tank still gets chilly, cover the open end with a blanket or something after lights out to cut down on air circulation at night. That should keep your future dragon warm and happy.

Bbuck30

Bearded Dragon Egg
The tanks 22 Inch high but I was hoping to hang the bulbs inside the tank so I'll maybe just get the 100w and block some ventilation off on a night if needed

Thanks again for all your help I was all worked up almost dreading the first steps but I can't wait to get started now

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Glad I could help. There's always a lot of trial and error in testing up your first enclosure. I have so many extra bulbs that it's not even funny.

You can hang the bulbs in the enclosure using a stand. The stand gives you more room to make adjustments, along with adjusting the height of basking platforms. Take your time and get everything just the way you want it so it's ready to go when you bring your new beardie home :)

Bbuck30

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm hoping to get it close to right lol on my first go fingers crossed

I was going to get the domes with the clip and bendy arm lol think there zoo med thought that might give me more choice of positions to play with I

I'll be sure to put up some pics as I go along as I'm sure I'll come across plenty more questions

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'll keep an eye out for future questions and help in whatever way I can! As you get into more of the details, I'm sure other member will chime in with what has worked best for them.

Bbuck30

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'll keep an eye out for future questions and help in whatever way I can! As you get into more of the details, I'm sure other member will chime in with what has worked best for them.

Thank you just one more question for now lol.

do you know which exo terra heat bulb would be better the 150w intense sun beam or the 150w daylight basking bulb.

I was going to get the intense sun beam one but after seeing the daylight one I'm not sure.

Is it just personal preference or would one be more beneficial to the beardie than the other.

Thanks again

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you just one more question for now lol.

do you know which exo terra heat bulb would be better the 150w intense sun beam or the 150w daylight basking bulb.

I was going to get the intense sun beam one but after seeing the daylight one I'm not sure.

Is it just personal preference or would one be more beneficial to the beardie than the other.

Thanks again

Daylight basking for sure. The intense sunbeam bulbs are often a very narrow beam that creates an intense hot spot that can be dangerous. I would only use those bulbs in a very large enclosure with a monitor that needs much higher basking temps.

Latest posts