• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New viv

Is my viv big enough?

• Not big enough

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sarz_Puff

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Alri guys new here..... just wondering i have an adult beardie and did some research and found that the bare min you can keep one in is a 40 gallon viv......I built a 55 gallon but its 31" long 26"? high and 16"deep im just wondering is this ok.....I built in a few shelf type things in order to make up for floor space.........just wondering wat your take is on this..........Dont reli wanna make a new one but if i have to i will.........Sorry guys youve prob answered all this be4 but thanks

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi and welcome!

It is recommended that an adult beardie be in a minimum 3x2 viv with 6 square feet of floor space. The depth should be 18 inches at a minimum.

So, you are a bit shy of the recommended dimensions. How old is your beardie?

Sarz_Puff

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks for the reply.....eh hes just 15 months now nearly had him a year....o ok so should i build or buy a new one seen as i take him out at least once a day?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would build a larger one... You can use the smaller one as the stand.
Who knows.. perhaps some other reptile will catch your fancy and you would have a ready to use enclosure... You can never have enough enclosures...
Janie

Sarz_Puff

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
O ok cheers for the honesty..... I used mdf last time but since its carcinogenic any ideas on building materials?....Thanks again

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Certainly. Any hard wood would be more than safe enough, and sturdy enough to house dragons with.
I have used oak plywood, 1/2"-3/4" for my vivs.. They take both stain and paint nicely, and are easy to seal in with polyurethane too !
Hope this helps !
Janie

Sarz_Puff

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ye thanks a million i mite just take the side of and extend it another foot or so.
Thank you guys for your help.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like a good move. Glad to hear you are going to make it bigger.

Sarz_Puff

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ill try post some pics up here when im done......
(Hopefully not too far from now)

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
zebraflavencs said:
I would build a larger one... You can use the smaller one as the stand.
Who knows.. perhaps some other reptile will catch your fancy and you would have a ready to use enclosure... You can never have enough enclosures...
Janie

Finally someone agrees with me! I have a ton of empty tanks piling up around the house. My hubby keeps trying to give them away. He says no more lizards, I say not yet :p

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Corrine.. you can store some at my place... I'll just move things around in my shed... which is ironically... filled with empty tanks and metal stands ? lol
Janie

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
Corrine.. you can store some at my place... I'll just move things around in my shed... which is ironically... filled with empty tanks and metal stands ? lol
Janie

Now why can you not live near me, I need a stand badly. I took my kids toy box/coffee table today to use as a stand for now until I can find something I like. Had to rearrange things in my living room but my lizard is happy :)

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Keep your eye out for yard sales, estate sales, and second hand shops... Craig's list is also a great source for finding "furniture" for cheap if not free.

You can always move south to Ga, Sandra... warm, 9 month grow season... and lots and lots of yard sales ;)
Janie

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What part of GA? I am in north east FL, about 30 miles from St. Marys, GA. There are tons of yard sales here. The only problem problem is, we have 3 women who own shops here that drive around with trucks and trailers that beat everyone to the yard/estate sales and by up all the stuff and sell it for HIGH prices at their shops. I love Craigslist. That is where I found the tank for only $50. I even found Slyder on there.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Savannah, Sandra... I live in Savannah... I'm guessing not all that far away from you...lol
Janie

Latest posts