• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the Dragon world

Emulu1

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I was trying to fnalize my setup today and I was so bummed that my local pet store had nothing I needed in stock or did not sell those items in the first place! But I decided to show my current setup, I know its boring but I did want to stick with the advice of many to keep it simple. At this point I just need a fixture for my UVB bulb, lamp stands, and a nice rock. I also am going to get a coffee table that was barely wider and longer than my 40 gallon. I am short and a regular tank stand will be too tall for me haha. I am so excited and hope I have better luck at the other pet stores Saturday!!!

IMAG0279.jpg

Emulu1

Bearded Dragon Egg
Exo terra UVB 10.0, 26W 150UVB, for screen tops, in a dome lamp, but it was too long for the lamp I already owned. The heat bulb was slightly too long for the dimmer lamp I purchased so I have to get lamp stands.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Just a suggestion but in order for your dragon to get the most out of your UV as well as you meaning the your money's worth I would highly recommend you using either a ReptiSun or ReptiGlo 10.o tube type UV bulb. Both bulbs are great and work well. (Do not listen to any of the negative stuff that has been posted about ReptiGlo as it is unfounded.)
Anyway what you want is an 18" tube type and then you can use an inexpensive under-the cabinet mount florescent fixture such as can be found at Walmarts for under 10 dollars.
These fixtures can be easily mounted inside the tank just under the frame edge using a hot glue gun. Here is a couple of pictures showing how it should be mounted.

UVmountTWO600x379_zps6f1449af.jpg
UVmountOne600x486_zps91a9ad00.jpg

By mounting the UV light like this your dragon will get the benefit of full unfiltered UV and your bulb will be good for the full year like the mfg states instyead of you having to replace it every 6 months when it is mounted above the screen.​
It will also make it easier for you to line up the basking light and UV light so that they are both shining down on the basking spot where your dragon will be spending most of his time.​
Most of the UV is emitted from the center of UV bulbs and very little from the ends so proper placement is essential. Here is a little diagram of how to line up your fixtures. They can be lined up on either end of your enclosure.​

If you will do this your dragon will be much happier and you will save a good bit of money as well.​
Also you can save some money on basking lights by using standard household indoor Halogen floodlights instead of the expensive Reptile basking bulbs. These work excellent, have a crisp bright white light which attracts dragons and are both cheaper and readily found at most big box stores and home improvement stores like WalMart. Lowes, Home Depot,etc. I would recommend starting with a 50 wattand if that doesnt get your temps right go to a 65 watt. Halogens also put out a lot more heat per watt so you can use lower wattage bulbs to achieve your proper basking spot temp usually.​
If you would like to add some ambient light to the cool side of the enclosure you can use a low watt regular florescent bulb like you would use at your house. I use a 13 watt bulb on Mungi's cool side. These don't put out heat with the light.​
I am not sure what the Heat lamp that you got is but you probably dont need that at all. Dragon's dont need any supplemental night heat unless the ambient temperature in your home drops below 65 degrees F and if it does then you will need to use a CHE (ceramic heat emmiter) on a thermostat to raise the temp in their enclosure up just enough to get it in the proper range. Night lights or heat lamps or ANY colour will disturb your dragons rest.​
Hope this is of help!:)
Enjoy.​

Latest posts