• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the dragon world

Gerald Smith

Hatchling Dragon
8B791AB2-8636-458F-9209-EA372650F442.jpeg
F67667FC-AA52-42D1-AAEE-C7712A028661.jpeg
Hi all! I just got a beardie yesterday. This is the first one I’ve ever owned and I’m just looking to connect with a community. So here’s my dragon. Has not been named yet.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Super cute! Be careful with food sizes - try to keep pieces (including bugs) no bigger than the space between his eyes. And welcome!

Gerald Smith

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks a lot! I’ll keep that in mind. Do you know if it is bad to disturb the after dark? I mean I have his lights on a 10hr timer (but I read that summer months it should be closer to 12-14hrs so I may bump it up) will it bother it too much to take it out of the cage and hang out with it? Or does it prefer to just go to sleep or something?

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
If you mean after the tank lights are out as opposed to after dark outside, I would think they'd prefer to sleep. But yes, change the lights on timing to at least 12 on (or 14 is good for spring/summer), and you'll have a better chance of hangout time during the dragon's "day". I have mine set to go on about 30 minutes before I leave for work, so I can place clean water and salad, and BSFL in the tank in the morning, and they're on for about 14 hrs (really 14.5 overall) so I can feed him crickets at least 2 hours (usually about 4 hrs) before lights out, or preferably roaches (when I can get them - I'm in Florida so many kinds like Dubia are not options, and discoids (which are legal) have been hard to get). That also gives me time to visit with him, weigh him, offer warm bath, etc.

Smitty

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks a lot! I’ll keep that in mind. Do you know if it is bad to disturb the after dark? I mean I have his lights on a 10hr timer (but I read that summer months it should be closer to 12-14hrs so I may bump it up) will it bother it too much to take it out of the cage and hang out with it? Or does it prefer to just go to sleep or something?
I have lights on timer as well, lights out now around 9:30 pm and back on at 8:00. once lights are out I usually don't bother with him, he usually falls asleep right after they go and and he sleeps pretty sound.

Smitty

Bearded Dragon Egg
no worries, I am all new to this as well.
Just sharing what seems to be working for me
Mine is already 3 years old but I only got him a short time ago, I rescued him from someone who didn't want him anymore

Latest posts