• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the Community

Howlett Fang

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys my name is Howlett, I am 26 years old and I have never owned a Bearded Dragon but I held one when I was about 14 or 15 years old and I have been fascinated ever sense. I am planning on getting a Bearded Dragon as soon as I can but until I do I am going to be researching everything I can possibly research and know everything I possibly can about them, I have been looking for about 6 years now but I am still finding new information all the time. If I ask any questions that seem like they should be obvious please understand because I don't know everything.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
welcome - good for you for doing your research before !! we are all finding new information all the time. never stop learning. when you stop learning you stop living. none of know everything :) click on the links below my signature - some of our members put these together to help out newbies - some truly great info in there. please - don't hesitate to ask if you have a question ! - that's one of the things we're here for. and - when you get your baby - send a pic (that's another one of the things we're here for !)

Howlett Fang

Bearded Dragon Egg
welcome - good for you for doing your research before !! we are all finding new information all the time. never stop learning. when you stop learning you stop living. none of know everything :) click on the links below my signature - some of our members put these together to help out newbies - some truly great info in there. please - don't hesitate to ask if you have a question ! - that's one of the things we're here for. and - when you get your baby - send a pic (that's another one of the things we're here for !)
I totally will send pictures, I have a enclosure post I made which os really the only thing I really have questions about at this time, I am always studying beardies and learning all I can. I want to nreed them eventually but I'd rather wait till I have had one of my own and have been successful for at least a year or two before I start worrying about doing any breeding.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yes - please wait to breed until you've got some time under your belt. they're not difficult, but there can be some challenges - it would be best to get through a year or 2 first. and - breeding has it's own set of challenges. do your research on that, too. baby beardies have to be fed often - you'll need to take out stock in a cricket co or maybe learn to breed your own. so - check that out, too. babies are totally adorable. why do you want to breed?

Howlett Fang

Bearded Dragon Egg
yes - please wait to breed until you've got some time under your belt. they're not difficult, but there can be some challenges - it would be best to get through a year or 2 first. and - breeding has it's own set of challenges. do your research on that, too. baby beardies have to be fed often - you'll need to take out stock in a cricket co or maybe learn to breed your own. so - check that out, too. babies are totally adorable. why do you want to breed?
I currently don't know much about bearded dragon breeds I only know there is a quite a few of them. As I said before and as you suggested i should, I plan on waiting and learning about different breeds of Bearded dragons I don't rhink I will get into silkies at all simply because I have heard that they are really difficult to take care of even for experienced breeders when I do start breeding I had planned on just breeding my own crickets and roaches and other bugs that are on the healthy list and likely avoiding any pinky mice at all. I don't want to start doing this and end up being that breeder who ends up being known for being a bad breeder or end up killing my babies because I didn't know what I was doing. I actually have my eye on a breeder whom I am going to try and contact about things anf maybe see if he is willing to impart knowledge onto me. The breeder I am currently interested in is Webe Reptile.

Howlett Fang

Bearded Dragon Egg
Why do you want to breed?

I decided to answer this separately.

I want to breed because I absolutely love Bearded Dragons and I feel like it could be a rewarding experience to bring new life into this world and bringing happiness to the beardies and the people who are Beardy enthusiasts as well.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum and for sure check out the links under some of our comments, and just know you are going to get alot of different opinions and personal experiences...It just takes time to get to learn what they need and they often change up what they want, what they want to eat etc...they always keep you on your toes and will often worry us like crazy.
IMO really wait on breeding as there are just soo many dragon's out there needing homes, or ones that are out there not getting what they need because they were cool at the time and now not so much.. It is hard on the female, opens them up to health issues, babies cost alot alot of money in food, even if you raise your own (dubia and supers are the way to go on that note) Vetting is really important, and knowing for sure the "bloodlines" of both parents so you know what the babies are.. Just alot to consider
This is just my opinion

Latest posts