• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to His Enclosure

Fishoutofwater

Bearded Dragon Egg
This morning was the first time I fed my little guy(got him last night). He ate about 12 crickets really fast. I then made some finely chopped up collard greens and put them in his dish and a few pieces by where he was basking. He didn't touch the greens and when I went to feed him more crickets this evening he wanted nothing to do with them at all. He basically sat on top of his rock all day other than the couple times I took him out just to hold him and pet him. Is this normal behavior for a baby in a new environment? Petsmart did say they only feed their beardies once a day in the morning so maybe he's just used to eating only once? Just want to make sure he's doing ok so far.

Also, I noticed that he will close one eye and keep the other open for a little while. Is this concerning at all? It sure is mega adorable.

Thanks.

BeardedLadii

Bearded Dragon Egg
Im not an expert but i have some experience. So this just my experienced opinion =).

Okay with the eye thing: they actually cant focus with both eyes so any time you see her closin an eye its so she can focus on whatever shes watching. Also they have real sucky perception.

Second, feedings: depending on how old i assume 2-3mos because you say baby from petsmart 12 crickets a day is actually a hearty appetite. Again in my experience my babys refused to eat fruits nd veggies til they hit the juvenile stage so as a youngin i did feed them baby food about every 10 to 14 days.

Also side notes for my babys they liked their basking area around 110. Pleaseeeee dont use sand. It can cause a compacted lizard which can cause major complications. As well as worms that small. Also its recommended you allow them to get used to their environment for at least 48hours before playing with them.

Again no expert so anything i say its to taken as just advice nd in the end research nd more qualified people are always out there.

Good luck with your new addition! =)

~own 3 beardies buried one last night. Have only had beardies for 4years. :)

Fishoutofwater

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the reply. I gave him crickets this morning and he didn't move. Just sits on top of his rock in the same exact spot. One cricket even walked right over his paw.

During the day when the lights are on, all his temps are good. The humidity is at 50%. At night however it jumps to about 65%. I live in Toledo, OH right on Lake Erie and we get a lot of humidity. Is there a way to lower it in his cage at night?

BeardedLadii

Bearded Dragon Egg
I myself live in Southern Louisiana so i definitely understand humidity being one of the hardest things to control. Unfortunately i ended up having to get a dehumidifier. Though i decreased it in the beginning by making sure the waterbowl was on the cool side as far away from heat as possible making it less quickly to evaporate causing more humidity.

My pygmy was a real brat in the beginning and to this day if she doesnt want shell let the crickets or roaches climb all over her. I perfer feeding her roaches because if shes not hungry i dont have to stress out trying to catch crickets in a 40 gallon tank. Remember cricket DO bite and cause injury! She may not be hungry. Our pygmy ate every other day but i always gave her the opportunity to eat nd did not with hold "since this was her schedule". Always give her the opportunity if shes not hungry this morning try at leazt 2x more today if she doesnt eat thats okay. But if she xoesnt eat anything tomorrow is when id be concerned. If you see signs of being impacted or distress or wven sickness definitely take advantage of petsmart 14day vet policy! Hope this helps nd someone with more advice comes along

Fishoutofwater

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well he finally pooped and it looked normal to me. I thought since he pooped he would be hungry again, alas, he still is showing no interest in crickets or greens. I will try again tomorrow and report back. Hope he's ok...

Fishoutofwater

Bearded Dragon Egg
How come his tail looks different than the rest of his body? P1000707.JPG

BeardedLadii

Bearded Dragon Egg
Definitely keep his head above water. But make sure he can stand up. Definitely 15ish minutes.in luke warm water

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I've heard from lots of people that they can get cranky during a shed and not want to eat anything. Mine on the other hand are piglets and want to eat twice the amount of food!

Fishoutofwater

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok he ate a few crickets today and had another nice poop. That's good right? All he does though is sit on his hammock under the basking light.

Latest posts