• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to forum and to Bearded Dragon community

Josh&Bowser

Hatchling Dragon
Hello all I am new to this community. My daughter wanted me to catch her a lizard while I was away for work. Well I caught an Anole. When I went to the Petco to buy a cage and other items I saw a Bearded Dragon and became fascinated with them. I soon bought my first one his name is Bowser. I have reptile carpet as well but the pet shop told me he needs to be in sand. He does eat well. He has eaten alot of crickets today he did try a bell pepper and licked a banana. Any recommendations on anything would be great as I am a new owner.

Bowser1.jpg

Bowser.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
WelcomeToTheForums-1.jpg

Cool lookin' li'l Dude ...

A young BD less than 10" should not be on any kind of loose substrate & any age BD pretty much shouldn't be on loose substrate that you purchase in a pet store. Calci-Sand, Vita-Sand, Crushed Walnut, etc are all dangerous substrates for BDs at any age.

Some links you may want to check out as a new owner.
Basic BD Care Guide
Nutrition List

Pet Stores are notorious for giving false info.

Good Luck & once again, Welcome to BDF

Josh&Bowser

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks for all the help I have Calci-Sand right now. I did buy Reptile carpet should I put that in there for now or do you recomend somthing else. I kinda like the Tile idea

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for all the help I have Calci-Sand right now. I did buy Reptile carpet should I put that in there for now or do you recomend somthing else. I kinda like the Tile idea
Hello, and welcome to BDF!

I hear tile is extremely easy to clean up after, but reptile carpet works. So does newspaper, non-adhesive shelf liner, paper towels... the calci sand is notorious for causing impaction in young BD's, and any age BD really shouldn't be on it. Really check out that nutrition link, fruit should be very occasional and not all young bd's will take to veggies right away. As long as they're eating their crickets at that age you should be good! Provide veggies just in case, they will occasionally decide to nip at them and get some of their veggie vitamins. They'll become bigger veggie eaters later. If you want direct advice on your setup to make sure it is what you need for sure, please post pics of what you have, otherwise check out the link Germ posted for the basic bd care guide.

Latest posts