• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to Beardies, trying to figure things out

Rose_C

Bearded Dragon Egg
I adopted my 5 year old bearded dragon about a week and a half ago. He eats greens everyday and protein every other day with calcium 5x a week. He has started pooping regularly. He had his first bath with me a few days ago. However, his beard is dark, so I want to be sure he is not ill. He also keeps tapping the glass every morning when I turn on the lights from the evening. He has been tearing up his tank during the day when I am gone also. I come home and he is relaxing, but as soon as he sees me he starts getting a little wild. I would take him out to run around, but I heard to let him acclimate to the surroundings for a week or two and since his beard is dark, I am hesitant to bring him out to run about. Would love any input!

IMG_1297.jpg
IMG_1299.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
He looks like his mouth and his nostrils are getting ready to shed. Sometimes when they are shedding they get real cranky. What does his setup look like?

A dragon that size should get protein every day and veggies every day. As they are growing they need the protein. Once they are adults (18 months) they can switch over to every other day or so for bugs. You also want to switch up the calcium regime and add a multivitamin in a few days a week as well as alternating calcium with and without D3.

Rose_C

Bearded Dragon Egg
He looks like his mouth and his nostrils are getting ready to shed. Sometimes when they are shedding they get real cranky. What does his setup look like?

A dragon that size should get protein every day and veggies every day. As they are growing they need the protein. Once they are adults (18 months) they can switch over to every other day or so for bugs. You also want to switch up the calcium regime and add a multivitamin in a few days a week as well as alternating calcium with and without D3.

He has indeed started shedding. The 50 gallon tank has a hide (even though he sits on it more than he is in it), a hot side for basking, a cool side, a repti 10.0 UVB light, a basking rock, a hammock, fake plants around the bottom of the glass to prevent his reflection from being seen (even though he has those moved to the middle of the tank by the time I come home anyways), a food dish, and sadly sand as substrate. The sand was not my choice, it came with his enclosure when I adopted him and I didn't want to change everything in his life all at once (He has been pooping regularly though). I have a terrarium liner I intend on putting in his tank this weekend around bath time, as we will have been together for 2 weeks. Also he is 5 years old, and I heard at his age his diet is more greens than protein.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Is the UVB bulb a compact fluorescent or is it a long tube bulb?

Latest posts