• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to Bearded Dragons

pennycop187

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey everyone we are new to bearded dragons and want to make sure we are doing the very best for our little guy. We got him from Repticon from an awesome breeder, Cinderella Dragons, who was awesome to talk to and gave us a ton of info before we got “Rusty”. We had him in a standard kit vivarium but I wanted a larger enclosure so I built him one. The photos are attached. I’m concerned it’s not warm enough and through the photos maybe someone could tell me the optimum temp it should be (around 90 now) and if he’s getting enough UVB. The enclosure is 36”x16x17. The top is screen where we set the dual heat and UVB bulb. He stays in his shade area all the time. His appetite is good and he typically eats all we give him. Dubia, Horn worm, etc.

Attachments

• D3A2C7D8-3C8C-4E8F-A692-567A87D16F39.jpeg
    D3A2C7D8-3C8C-4E8F-A692-567A87D16F39.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
  • A3CC3551-6B58-422D-929E-9A39702D58F6.jpeg
    A3CC3551-6B58-422D-929E-9A39702D58F6.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 36202371-5FF0-4DB4-B029-E1A041E0D5C0.jpeg
    36202371-5FF0-4DB4-B029-E1A041E0D5C0.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 0BDF0809-E8AF-473E-957D-99D99BB3B375.jpeg
    0BDF0809-E8AF-473E-957D-99D99BB3B375.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • 60EF7AB1-2B2B-4596-8EFD-110A044C6099.jpeg
    60EF7AB1-2B2B-4596-8EFD-110A044C6099.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 11

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey everyone we are new to bearded dragons and want to make sure we are doing the very best for our little guy. We got him from Repticon from an awesome breeder, Cinderella Dragons, who was awesome to talk to and gave us a ton of info before we got “Rusty”. We had him in a standard kit vivarium but I wanted a larger enclosure so I built him one. The photos are attached. I’m concerned it’s not warm enough and through the photos maybe someone could tell me the optimum temp it should be (around 90 now) and if he’s getting enough UVB. The enclosure is 36”x16x17. The top is screen where we set the dual heat and UVB bulb. He stays in his shade area all the time. His appetite is good and he typically eats all we give him. Dubia, Horn worm, etc.
Nice tank ---- your UVB should be inside the tank for best rays- what kind of screen are you using -- depending on that screen it can stay on top and please tell me the brand and bulb you are using ---- for surface basking temps they should be 105-110 for a baby for a adult 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer they are the most accurate-- If you are using a coil UVB please get rid of it- they are inaccurate and cause all kinds of health issues -- cool side of the tank should be in the 80's during the day and ambient temps at night 65-75 --- you will need a digital probe hygrometer placed on the center back wall of the tank https://dubiaroaches.com/products/exo-terra-digital-hygrometer?_pos=1&_sid=ac857912b&_ss=r optimal humidity 40-50% nothing under 20 and over 70% --
if you need help w/ getting a good UVB please let me know I can post links to some of the best ones on the market at this time --- this and the surface basking temps are crucial to Rusty's over all health and behavior - w/ him hiding on the cool side of the tank now all the time something is off --- he should be basking at least 4 hrs per day and longer if a baby -

pennycop187

Bearded Dragon Egg
Nice tank ---- your UVB should be inside the tank for best rays- what kind of screen are you using -- depending on that screen it can stay on top and please tell me the brand and bulb you are using ---- for surface basking temps they should be 105-110 for a baby for a adult 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer they are the most accurate-- If you are using a coil UVB please get rid of it- they are inaccurate and cause all kinds of health issues -- cool side of the tank should be in the 80's during the day and ambient temps at night 65-75 --- you will need a digital probe hygrometer placed on the center back wall of the tank https://dubiaroaches.com/products/exo-terra-digital-hygrometer?_pos=1&_sid=ac857912b&_ss=r optimal humidity 40-50% nothing under 20 and over 70% --
if you need help w/ getting a good UVB please let me know I can post links to some of the best ones on the market at this time --- this and the surface basking temps are crucial to Rusty's over all health and behavior - w/ him hiding on the cool side of the tank now all the time something is off --- he should be basking at least 4 hrs per day and longer if a baby -
Thank you for the reply. Yes, please let me know the best UVB bulbs or systems that are out now. I’ve read up on several of them and I get mixed reviews on them all. Embarrassingly I’m not sure what
yes please. I have read up on several UVB bulbs and I get mixed reviews. We bought the standard Petco ZooMed kit that came with the 75watt basking bulb. Thanks for the link from Dubia.com is that for the humidity? If so I’ll grab one of those too. My wife is typically home a lot during the day so I don’t know how much he basks, but I’ll ask. I just see him around 530ish and he’s under his shade spot.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for the reply. Yes, please let me know the best UVB bulbs or systems that are out now. I’ve read up on several of them and I get mixed reviews on them all. Embarrassingly I’m not sure what

yes please. I have read up on several UVB bulbs and I get mixed reviews. We bought the standard Petco ZooMed kit that came with the 75watt basking bulb. Thanks for the link from Dubia.com is that for the humidity? If so I’ll grab one of those too. My wife is typically home a lot during the day so I don’t know how much he basks, but I’ll ask. I just see him around 530ish and he’s under his shade spot.
You want this for your tank -- 24" https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood?variant=40651 and you will need this bulb
22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...d-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332
Sorry one site has one item and the other site has the other one- crazy!
You can look for this fixture at Pet Smart if you have one - they have started carrying them now
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...-12-uvb-bulb-with-hood?variant=39549895475242 you want the 12% bulb
When you get this please let me know I will help you get it placed and correct distance for your tank - the screen will determine where it goes
Yes the hygrometer is for your humidity -- back center wall of the tank please --

pennycop187

Bearded Dragon Egg
You want this for your tank -- 24" https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood?variant=40651 and you will need this bulb
22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...d-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332
Sorry one site has one item and the other site has the other one- crazy!
You can look for this fixture at Pet Smart if you have one - they have started carrying them now
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...-12-uvb-bulb-with-hood?variant=39549895475242 you want the 12% bulb
When you get this please let me know I will help you get it placed and correct distance for your tank - the screen will determine where it goes
Yes the hygrometer is for your humidity -- back center wall of the tank please --
You’re awesome! Thank you!!

Latest posts