• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to Bearded Dragons

mdp3612

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I want to say hi and that I'm putting together my first set up for a bearded dragon and I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I plan on using a Zilla 20L tank to start with a tile base. Not sure on the basking light brand yet but I do know I want to get a Reptisun 10.O UVB bulb and fixture. With the Reptisun 10.0 what watt and length do I need? Now where I'm not sure is will I need a heating pad? During the winter the room where I will be keeping the set up runs around 65-68 degrees at night. I know I need artificial plants and areas for the Bearded dragon to bask but am I missing anything else? Are the pre-packaged starter kits worth the money? Also anyone know of any breeders in or around Delaware?

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you'll save yourself money if you start off with the bigger tank. The minimum for an adult is a 40 breeder, which is 36 x 18 x 18. The 20 long will only last him about 6 months.

The repti sun 10 florescent light comes in 18, 24, 36 and 48 inch lengths. I use the 24 because the 36 with the housing unit doesn't quite fit in a 40 breeder.

heating pads don't do dragons much good. A Ceramic Heat emitter will do great for him at night tho.

I'm not certian of breeders in Delaware, but you can contact Tom, myself, and Tim I think all have information you may want.

mdp3612

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
The repti sun 10 florescent light comes in 18, 24, 36 and 48 inch lengths. I use the 24 because the 36 with the housing unit doesn't quite fit in a 40 breeder.
Does this leave room to set a basking lamp on the top?

Also any recomendations for a Thermometer ?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It should leave room for basking. You will want a fixture with 3 sockets - 1 for basking, 1 for UV, and 1 for heat emitter if needed.

Now for basking, you can use a standard household bulb. The key for basking is temp and light.

The digital probe thermometer is inexpensive and pretty accurate.

mdp3612

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Renee said:
It should leave room for basking. You will want a fixture with 3 sockets - 1 for basking, 1 for UV, and 1 for heat emitter if needed.

Now for basking, you can use a standard household bulb. The key for basking is temp and light.

The digital probe thermometer is inexpensive and pretty accurate.
I want to make sure I have everything right. What watt works best for a regular house hold bulb? and with the heat emitter will it work ok with a regular household outlet?

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
wattage of bulb is dependant on the cage size, ventilation and ambient in your house. I'd start with a 40 and work my way up. If you reach a high wattage bulb with no success in temps, you might try an indoor flood light.

yes, the CHE can work in a standard ceramic fixture in a regular outlet.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As Gina points out, you'll have to play around with the bulb to make sure you get the right temp. Start with what you have on hand and see what temp you get. Basking spots for babies should be around 105-110F.

Latest posts